• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC to Attribute Emergency Production 2020 Bullion Silver Eagles from the Philadelphia Mint
1 1

52 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, BISHOP47 said:

Im completely new to this coin buying hobby & would appreciate any feedback. I bought the 2020 P emergency coin & am wondering if it was a gd buy. I paid $99.00 from a show I saw on TV. I also ordered the TYPE 1 & 2, 2021 coins. Any advice?

Yes, keep reading these forums.xD

You'll learn alot and that is far more important than whether you overpaid on a $99 purchase or not.  Ultimarely, that will keep you in the game as we have ALL made dumb, overpriced purchases of one type or another over the years.

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

General rule, anything you buy from a TV program will be at least twice the retail value.

You’re lucky if it’s only 2x. 3x is more usual.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:36 PM, MarkFeld said:

Can a coin with a population of more than five (still) accurately be described as rare? Of course. A coin which is one of two hundred forty thousand? Of course not. 

I believe the mintage of '09 "S" V.D.B. cents runs twice that and have always been considered scarce, no?

On 2/8/2021 at 11:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The coins sold by Rick Tomaska generally are selling for 25-35% over FMV.

I trust Tomaska's coins and prices over the other TV shows. You will pay a premium and I have never bought anything from him but I don't see him as a total crook. Of course he's trying to make his bucks, aren't we all? He knows more about coins than most people on this message board, including me.

Edited by Stephen83333

54 minutes ago, Stephen83333 said:

I trust Tomaska's coins and prices over the other TV shows. You will pay a premium and I have never bought anything from him but I don't see him as a total crook. Of course he's trying to make his bucks, aren't we all? He knows more about coins than most people on this message board, including me.

I actually can't blame him for the prices.  And I agree, compared to others, he's much more honest and upfront.

He has costs to air the programs...create the infomercial....overhead  etc.  They ARE informative, especially for novices/newbies.  My only problem is he talks about buying the coins in bulk and getting a great discount for the buyers, who may not realize they are paying a premium. 

I would rather he talk up the mystery, history, and great look of the (Saint/Liberty) coins and just ignore the cost.  Plus, with the internet, it might not be that difficult for anybody under the age of 75 to check the FMV.

49 minutes ago, Stephen83333 said:

All these "emergency issues" are really muddying the waters for collectors like me. Way too many of these emergency issues, hard to keep up and make good buying decisions.

Not sure I understand...what "emergency issues" are you talking about ? 

11 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I actually can't blame him for the prices.  And I agree, compared to others, he's much more honest and upfront.

He has costs to air the programs...create the infomercial....overhead  etc.  They ARE informative, especially for novices/newbies.  My only problem is he talks about buying the coins in bulk and getting a great discount for the buyers, who may not realize they are paying a premium. 

I would rather he talk up the mystery, history, and great look of the (Saint/Liberty) coins and just ignore the cost.  Plus, with the internet, it might not be that difficult for anybody under the age of 75 to check the FMV.

This would almost exclude me as the internet is mostly unknown to me, thankfully I have a grand-daughter who is well versed but not always available.🤣.

1 hour ago, Ray, USMC said:

This would almost exclude me as the internet is mostly unknown to me, thankfully I have a grand-daughter who is well versed but not always available.🤣.

Well, you're here.....xD

Would you check the price of something like that if you were on the fence about buying a coin or just go ahead and buy it ?  How would you check the price (besides asking your granddaughter to check xD) ?

On 5/27/2020 at 9:37 PM, Stephen83333 said:

You are a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. You are like the Trumptards who think they know more about everything (like their master). If their is no rarity of ANY ASE coin as you claim, go build a complete set or two of ASE's in high quality MS70 and then a complete set of high quality PF70's and we will wait for your results. By the way you other minions need to educate yourselves about who is grading/selling what.........PCGS is also grading these "emergency" ASE's under their "Premier" label and they are selling for around $299, so quit your whining about NGC grading these coins. What a bunch of whiners.

Not really interested in an "emergency" ASE coin myself, but to slam the whole concept that others may like is absurd.

This is so cute lol

15 hours ago, Lancek said:

There isn't a collector alive anywhere who can look you in the eye and truthfully say he has never [or never would] suffer a similar fate.