• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 V.D.B. penny

13 posts in this topic

Bummer about the scratch, which counts as damage, but still an 09 VDB is always a little special. Rare, no, but the less common variation of the 1909 Linc. The reverse shows pretty light wear, in my opinion consistent with VF.

VF means very fine in the grading scale. It can be anywhere between 20 & 35 on the Sheldon grading scale.

To learn more about grading, go to the main board and click on "Coin Grading" in the heading.

Ok I will do that

Now let ask y'all this... would y'all send it off to be graded? And as a collector would it be a coin that you'd purchase and what would the price range be?

Not worth getting graded. It would cost way more than the value of the coin.

If someone were to buy it with that scratch, it would probably be as a filler. Hard to give a value on a damaged coin but it might be worth 10-15 dollars if someone needed one for their album.

To answer your other question would I purchase it, no,  I don't purchase any damaged coins but that is not to say that someone else might.

2 hours ago, Happycolors said:

Ok I will do that

Now let ask y'all this... would y'all send it off to be graded? And as a collector would it be a coin that you'd purchase and what would the price range be?

No and no. In the first case, one would pay $30-60 for a coin that might retail for $7 if undamaged, probably half that with the scratch. In the second, if I want a not-nice 09 VDB, I can buy more worn examples without the damage; since we are talking the difference of maybe $10 between buying an undamaged VF and an AU with some remaining mint luster. For $10, I'll take the nicer piece.

If someone was selling it for $1-2, though, I might buy it just because that'd be a pretty good deal.

3 hours ago, Happycolors said:

Ok I will do that

No it would be a complete waste of money to have this graded, there are very few collectors that would even buy this coin for more than a $1.

Thank you all for taking the time to burst my bubbles:)lol. 

Those pennies are in an album that my late husband started. What, if any, other dates would be of interest? Just for me to see what I might have. 

After this I want to ask about some silver coins. In a new post, of course

My first impression was that it was deliberately scratched, like someone was mad that it didn't have an S on it. As far as what else to look for, go here https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/cents/99/ and scroll down the G grade ("Good" condition) column, looking for anything worth more than a few bucks. From there, you can click on a specific date and see some auction results in each grade. Same with your silver and other coins. The price guide is a good place to start.

Other notable Lincs to look for are the 1909-S, the 1909-S VDB most especially, 1914-D. However, anything 1933 or older has at least some value, with branch mints D, S tending more often to lower mintages and greater values than the main U.S. Mint (no mark; Philly).

In silver, depends what silver. Most of what's in the 1800s and first decade of the 1900s is worth a premium, especially in nice shape. As the years progress from 1906-1970 (the end of business strike silver content), with a few notable exceptions, the coin must be in increasingly good condition to deserve any premium above its metal value. For example, most Franklin halves (1948-63) that are worn are not very valuable, but all have a silver value. Really nice ones will stand out. But all Standing Liberty quarters (1916-30) with readable dates have definite premiums. The rule of newer=less valuable is by no means uniform, but as a general guideline it provides you a starting point.