• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883 V no cents DDR?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all and thank you all for taking a look! I have this V nickle that is in amazing condition. I recent sales y got a coin microscope to check it out and see some issues with the coin. I'm still pretty new to collecting and haven't been able to figure out doubling as of yet. Some things I see that look doubled, people say arent, and some things that dont look doubled people say are..... is this a ddo? Around the lettering as well as almost all the way around the rim and dentils looks like it's been doubled. Any help before I send this in to grading would be great!1215785152_ThuApr3022-44-26.jpg.f7220176e6987cdb9778a2995aa8ebcb.jpgD and T and the edges of the leaves below the D. 

Thu Apr 30 22-47-06.jpg

Thu Apr 30 22-46-05.jpg

Thu Apr 30 22-48-06.jpg

For one thing, DDO stands for doubled die obverse. The part you are wondering about is on the reverse, but that's not a DDR. Just mechanical doubling or die deterioration doubling; not quite sure which (my guess is DDD). That does look like a legit die crack on the date.

Thank you for the reply! Sorry I put ddo instead of ddr. The edges where the dentils are has that line and mush on both sides. And yes there is a huge die crack from the top of the crown all the way down to the date. Will that diminish the grade when it comes back? There are also huge die cracks on the reverse that go around almost the entire coin like a circle. 

Sounds like late die states all around. Not sure how it will affect grading; probably not beneficially.

I agree with MD or DDD. Full images of both sides would help. You may have other reasons to get it graded but it seems like you'd have to get at least MS64 to make it worth it value-wise. Large numbers of them were saved at the time. https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/liberty-head-five-cents-1883-1913-pscid-23/1883-no-cents-5c-ms-coinid-13841

Here is an article that helps explain the difference between mechanical doubling (MD) and hub doubling (DDO, DDR)

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

I think I link this article more often on this forum than any other article, about any other topic.

Here are some full shot. The coin is very reflective so its tough to get a good focused shot with my cell phone. It is toned, brown/red/purple. It also shows what I hear people call the pinwheel effect from light. Considering I got it for a dollar at an estate sale, I think I'll be happy whatever it grades. 

20200501_142814.jpg

20200501_142757.jpg