• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bday gift opinions

6 posts in this topic

Hi all :)   My dad has a small circulated collection of flying eagle cent, large cent, half cent, two cent, three cent, half dime, etc. But no twenty cent so I got this for a birthday present for him.  I struggle with grading, especially circulated.  I was thinking XF, possibly AU50?  Or am I being optimistic?  For what it's worth I paid 250.

226196618_thumbnail_IMG_29101.jpg.99b6476ddcccfa4ee0ed02337283f23e.jpg1737592967_thumbnail_IMG_29111.jpg.ac94ffd389c96f6ca7217c1158f26514.jpg812075684_thumbnail_IMG_29121.jpg.67d3ccf84ee0c45e1d118b0aa2b53856.jpg178813832_thumbnail_IMG_29131.jpg.50621e3ac10c488ea07c3a532be25582.jpg

My two photograde cheat sheets didn't include the twenty cent piece, but I stared at coins closely with the same obverse and reverse features so long that I need a nap. I'm seeing 35 to 40, but, the weak strike issue is one where I think they have a slight forgiveness on grading, so I think your right, maybe XF45. I wouldn't even give my newbie opinion, but I put a full hour into it, so there it is. The REAL evaluators will follow shortly. PS.. Take care of that 1880 S lady!

4 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

My two photograde cheat sheets didn't include the twenty cent piece, but I stared at coins closely with the same obverse and reverse features so long that I need a nap. I'm seeing 35 to 40, but, the weak strike issue is one where I think they have a slight forgiveness on grading, so I think your right, maybe XF45. I wouldn't even give my newbie opinion, but I put a full hour into it, so there it is. The REAL evaluators will follow shortly. PS.. Take care of that 1880 S lady!

Can you tell me a little more about cheat sheets please?  I'm not familiar.

Thank you for checking it out.

P.S.  hahahaa . I am ;)  Don't be spending an hour checking out MY lady !

It pains me to use this term, but, go to the PGCS home page, -resources,- at the bottom of the page is the photograde option. Pick your coin. I'm glad I could tell about the photo grade, but I'm really not qualified to give a grade opinion yet like I did above. I thought others would've chimed in by now, oh well. You and I together can use our imagination, probably end up MS69 proof by the time we discuss it! Your dad is a lucky man.Later......

On 5/1/2020 at 5:01 AM, ronnie stein said:

You and I together can use our imagination, probably end up MS69 proof by the time we discuss it!

I think maybe it IS MS.  These are commonly weak strike and I think it's just very dark toning concealing BU luster.  ;)   Dad was very happy!  Thanks for your help guys