• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Piece Silver Half Dollar Set
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I received this set a couple years ago and am looking for more info as I pretty much have no clue lol. From what I can gather, this is simply 5 separate coins that someone had "made into a set", not an actual "set". It does have the NGC cert tag on it and it does come up with NGC. According to the NGC sticker, they are "BRILLIANT PROOF". There is a 1961 Franklin, a 1964 Kennedy, a 1969 S Kennedy, 2000 S Kennedy, and a 1976 S Kennedy Bicentennial.

So, since these had previously been sent in and graded and slabbed would it be best to leave them as is or separate them? Since these were just made into a set what would be the approximate value as a set? Value individually? I realize nothing I have is probably going to make me rich, I am not that lucky lol. Just trying to understand some of this. Also, how is proof coin value determined? Is it solely the collectibility of the coin? 

20200428_203724.jpg

Ok. Well first off, while it is a dandy photo it doesn't offer us a way to see the coins. So if you could either take individual shots of both sides of each coin or at least flip it over and show us the other side as well as the NGC tag stating what you said above, that'd be great.

Idk much about grading, but idt NGC or the others grade a set without it being a set, if that makes sense. I could be wrong. Have you googled like, '5 coin Kennedy Half Dollar Set' ? And then Googled each individual Coin as is graded by NGC? I hate to send you to the neighbors app to check  value so I will look if and after you provide the requested photos.

27 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ok. Well first off, while it is a dandy photo it doesn't offer us a way to see the coins. So if you could either take individual shots of both sides of each coin or at least flip it over and show us the other side as well as the NGC tag stating what you said above, that'd be great.

Idk much about grading, but idt NGC or the others grade a set without it being a set, if that makes sense. I could be wrong. Have you googled like, '5 coin Kennedy Half Dollar Set' ? And then Googled each individual Coin as is graded by NGC? I hate to send you to the neighbors app to check  value so I will look if and after you provide the requested photos.

I agree with you on not thinking they would grade a set without it being a set, but I don't know. The 1 person I had look at it gave me the impression of it not being an actual set. I have tried googling it, but part of the problem is there is 1 Franklin half dollar and 4 Kennedy's. As for googling each coin as graded by NGC, the only thing I find is " proof" coins or MS coins and with these showing to be Brilliant proof I am not sure where that grading falls. Here is a pic of the flip side. Hope this helps and if need each individual coin pic let me know and I'll try my best as all I have is my phone.

20200428_203755.jpg

@pogohatesme give me a few to research some.  As much as I hate to admit it, I am having trouble with this one. But fear not, I don't give up easily. Without adding your pics I have reached out to some fellow collectors about the whole would they grade them as a set if not purchased as a set and should have that answer soon. ThT answer will set the search parameters and be easy peasy from there. Might not have a complete answer until tomorrow though.

Edited by KarenHolcomb
Add info.

Ok. Well don't thank me cause I found squat. Apparently that number on the label should tell you everything and NGC should be able to tell you why it is packaged as it is and why they slabbed it but didn't give it a grade. I am awful sorry but all I can tell you is to contact NGC with it. There is another forum here called Ask NGC and you should post it there. Maybe David Lange will respond.

In the past, NGC offered a multiholder option to every customer. You could have most any coins you wanted put in the holder. I believe they now only offer the service to bulk submitters. This "set" was probably put together by either a collector wanting different examples of recent half dollar proofs, or by a dealer wanting to sell sets of recent half dollar proofs. The "Brilliant Proof" designation was possibly requested rather than assigning each coin a grade individually.

As for value,you can look up the approximate retail value of the Kennedys  HERE, and the Franklin half HERE.  Since the submitter did not request grades, I am going to assume that the coins would not grade above PF67 or 68, and that they would not receive the CA or UC (cameo or ultra cameo) designation. (Actually, the 1976 might, but the others would not). Since the values given are retail, you should probably divide them in half, to get the approximate dollar amount that you could sell them for. I would leave the set intact, if it were mine, but that is just my opinion.

And to answer your other question, proof coins, like most all coins and collectables, are priced/valued by condition, desirability, and rarity/availability.

3 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ok. Well don't thank me cause I found squat. Apparently that number on the label should tell you everything and NGC should be able to tell you why it is packaged as it is and why they slabbed it but didn't give it a grade. I am awful sorry but all I can tell you is to contact NGC with it. There is another forum here called Ask NGC and you should post it there. Maybe David Lange will respond.

No worries, thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

In the past, NGC offered a multiholder option to every customer. You could have most any coins you wanted put in the holder. I believe they now only offer the service to bulk submitters. This "set" was probably put together by either a collector wanting different examples of recent half dollar proofs, or by a dealer wanting to sell sets of recent half dollar proofs. The "Brilliant Proof" designation was possibly requested rather than assigning each coin a grade individually.

As for value,you can look up the approximate retail value of the Kennedys  HERE, and the Franklin half HERE.  Since the submitter did not request grades, I am going to assume that the coins would not grade above PF67 or 68, and that they would not receive the CA or UC (cameo or ultra cameo) designation. (Actually, the 1976 might, but the others would not). Since the values given are retail, you should probably divide them in half, to get the approximate dollar amount that you could sell them for. I would leave the set intact, if it were mine, but that is just my opinion.

And to answer your other question, proof coins, like most all coins and collectables, are priced/valued by condition, desirability, and rarity/availability.

Thank you all for the help. My experience with collecting has just been seeing a coin I liked and holding on to it if possible. Or searching online and just liking some of what I saw. So I have just been trying to get a better understanding of all of it and what I have.

Just Bob summed it up nicely, I'll add that imo you will get more for the set than breaking each coin out.  Proofs of this type and time frame are only worth more than face if they are at least a cam (cameo) and most need to be ucam (ultimate cameo).  The exception in this set are the Franklin and 64 as those are silver and worth more for the silver melt value.

Ok a couple more questions if yall don't mind. First, from what I am understanding, even a proof coin would still need a grade such as PF66, MS67 or whatever in order to look up a close approximate value, correct? Secondly, I realize none of the coins are very valuable and probably not very "collectible", but I still think it's a nice little set, just curious what yall's opinions are?

I checked last night and the next 5 cert numbers give the same result as these, so my guess is a dealer putting these “sets” together. Modern Coin Mart has similar ones for sale. It looks cool. 

@Just Bob Thanks Bob! I looked and looked and couldn't find any info and some guy said they didn't do stuff like that at NGC, but I had a feeling it wasn't sold like that but I couldn't prove it to myself. I'm glad you were here with your giant book of knowledge to help out. Lymi my Friend. 

19 hours ago, pogohatesme said:

Ok a couple more questions if yall don't mind. First, from what I am understanding, even a proof coin would still need a grade such as PF66, MS67 or whatever in order to look up a close approximate value, correct? Secondly, I realize none of the coins are very valuable and probably not very "collectible", but I still think it's a nice little set, just curious what yall's opinions are?

Yes, the proofs are graded the same as MS coins. If you click the links above, you will see the grades at the top of each column of prices.

And, as for my opinion of the set: Although the coins may not be extremely valuable, they certainly are collectible. I personally like it. In fact, it has given me an idea for a set.  Substitute a reverse proof Kennedy for the Franklin, and maybe add one of the 2014 High Relief examples, and that would make a nice display. I wonder if Capital Plastics makes a holder that would work... hm

Yes probably a promotional type submission by a dealer (after all you are talking at least 85 coins in the submission) it is also an older slab as that hologram style ended in 2003 when the ANA changed their logo from the Lamp of Knowledge to the Landing Eagle.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, Coinbuf said:

Just Bob summed it up nicely, I'll add that imo you will get more for the set than breaking each coin out.  Proofs of this type and time frame are only worth more than face if they are at least a cam (cameo) and most need to be ucam (ultimate cameo).  The exception in this set are the Franklin and 64 as those are silver and worth more for the silver melt value.

Sorry to bring up an old thread again but I have another question. It's stated that the only silver coins in this set are the Franklin and the 64, but yet from the designation on the slab, shouldn't they all be silver? Or am I misreading or misunderstanding things? To make sure I am saying this right : Since the "grade" by NGC says that it is a 5 Piece Silver Half Dollar Set, that says to me that each coin is silver. 

Edit to add, I do realize I can ( and actually have) looked up each coins composition. 

Edited by pogohatesme

Actually at least three of the coins are silver (franklin, 64 Kennedy. the 69 S is 40% silver) the other two might be silver the bicentennial came as either coppernickel clad or 40% silver, the 2000 same as either coppernickel or 90% silver.  Easiest way to tell is what is called the tissue test.  Lay a single layer of tissue over the coins (either facial or toilet tissue).  The silver coins will look very white through the tissue, the 40% a little less white, if the bicentennial or 2000 are coppernickel they will be a dull gray through the tissue)

@Conder101 Thank you for that. Had not heard anything about the tissue tes ( yes I am that new and inexperienced to this whole deal haha). I would assume since NGC stabbed it as they did, they are all silver. Would them being encapsulated make a difference on being able to tissue test?

Slab will not affect the tissue test.  Even though the slab doesn't say silver I don't think it would be safe to just assume they are all silver.  If I was buying it I would want confirmation of what the compositions actually are.

The set has five coins.  If the 2000 is silver then it is the same type as the 64, but if it is clad then you have five coins, five types.  If I was a dealer putting together a bulk group of these sets, I would go with the five coins five types approach.  Otherwise I'd have just used four coin sets rather than duplicate a type.

Edited by Conder101

OK thanks. All I have now is paper towels ( and from what I read Googled it after you mentioned it) that would be to thick, so will have to wait until I get back to the store. I definitely want to confirm it because if they are not all silver I would like to know why NGC slabbed it saying it's a 5 piece silver half dollar set. I don't feel that would be right, hence why I think they all are.

And all of this is for my own curiosity as I am no dealer and have no intention of getting rid of these.

Edited by pogohatesme
dang typos

I've never seen toilet paper that was more than two ply.  Two ply should work, and you can always separate the plys they aren't usually fastened together that well.

@Morpheus1967 believe me, my OCD is having fits with that aspect.

@Conder101 I and most people I know consider me to be a very thought out type person. But some of these things are just really escaping me and making me look really stupid lol. You are absolutely correct in being able to pull it apart. I guess I am just way over thinking things.