• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1858 Flying Eagle ...thoughts ?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

A newer purchase that I got around looking at better.

Am I pushing my luck with putting this in a ms64 range ? or am I starry eyed ? 🤔

1858 Flying Eagle for your consideration.

Thanks for looking.

1858.FlyingEagle01.jpg

1858.FlyingEagle02.jpg

1858.FlyingEagle03.jpg

1858.FlyingEagle04.jpg

9 hours ago, grip said:

I can see it as a 63.Nice coin.

Thanks, I was pretty happy about getting it for a reasonable price, I have sent it in to be properly graded.

I wonder whether that edge delamination is typical of FECs. They were definitely groundbreaking from a US coinage standpoint.

I will be surprised if you get AU-55. AU-50 seems reasonable. A dealer would probably call it MS-62, hoping that people won't notice the obvious wear on the wheat at left. It would be very interesting to see what the outcome is.

Edited by JKK

Since I'm still learning about all of this and I tend to look at things through a mechanical aspect, Is the possible the wear look on the left side of the of wheat image could of been done when made ?
   The die itself seems like it was off-centered a bit and compressed that portion while in the manufacturing process . I don't know what the dies themselves looks like nor the actual process they used back then but it doesn't seem like "wear" to me but compression. I'll have to dig through images I took to see if I can find a better angle since it's going to be a month most likely before the return of the coin.
This is the only other image I have that shows a different angle on wheat side, doesn't help much.

1858.FlyingEagle05[1].jpg

I honestly do not know, which is one of the reasons I look forward to finding out what the professionals have to say. The wear, though, I don't see any reason to believe happened at the mint, nor that it could be strike weakness.

If you mean on the rev from 7:00 to 10:00, yes that is a rim cud.  Fron 2:00 to 6:00 it is showing rim tinning.

Well, I'm only 5+ months behind on this reply. Finally got a work project off the ground and running on it's own and have time for...ME ! !

Sent in to be graded a while back and well...poop happens.
I only wish that some day the graders of the numismatic world would provide more details on "Cleaned"  other than splashing it on the slab.

My delayed response attached.

1858.1c.Cleaned.39358183_Large.jpg

Disturbed obverse luster (field) and wear at highest point of eagle indicates the coin is Extremely Fine (EF) to About Uncirculated (AU). It is not uncirculated (or "Mint State" or any other state.)

Hey that is a great coin.  I have to disagree with RWB though.  Although the coin does looked clean the details are MS.  The wing tips are sharp and defined  on the obverse.  The lettering is sharp, Eagles beak has a ding but not distracting.  the obverse wheat stalks are full and defined and the cotton blooms are defined.  bow and knot are defined.  it would be a good MS coin if not cleaned.