• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

55 cent

13 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, JKK said:

At first I thought this thread was going to be about a rapper.

The coin is not special, unfortunately.

THAT'S FUNNY! JKK you make my stomach hurt sometimes from cracking up so much. 

38 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

THAT'S FUNNY! JKK you make my stomach hurt sometimes from cracking up so much. 

It seemed like a great parody name for a rapper.

==

Fiddy five cent is da name and numismatics is my game, yo

Got mad stacks'a iggles an' bullish on bullion

Goin' through dealer junk bins, what's in them don't nobody know

Found a double die small date, worth a cool million

==

Yeah, I'm thinking I don't quit my day job. That's also what my acq-eds told me the last time I turned in a rap; then again, that was in 2008 and it was about the financial crisis.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

It seemed like a great parody name for a rapper.

==

Fiddy five cent is da name and numismatics is my game, yo

Got mad stacks'a iggles an' bullish on bullion

Goin' through dealer junk bins, what's in them don't nobody know

Found a double die small date, worth a cool million

==

Yeah, I'm thinking I don't quit my day job. That's also what my acq-eds told me the last time I turned in a rap; then again, that was in 2008 and it was about the financial crisis.

Yeah don't quit, what's pretty cool is you go into some of these thread's and say it just plain and simple. Believe me its some funny stuff ever.

31 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Yeah don't quit, what's pretty cool is you go into some of these thread's and say it just plain and simple. Believe me its some funny stuff ever.

The normal objective is to get the poster to realize that I'm not going to worry about questions they don't ask. They should ask the questions they wish answered. If they don't want an estimate of value, for example, that's fine; no need to tell them. If they are asking whether they should send it in to be graded, but do not ask for a grade, value, opinion on authenticity, or evaluation of variety, no problem; I assume they don't care, and if they don't, I don't. In most cases it's a "yes" or "no" question. (Well, mostly a "no" question in regard to being sent in to be graded. I can't believe some of the stuff people imagine they should spend $30-60 just to be told it's fake, or that it's not special.)

If they ask no questions at all, of course, I assume they just want to show us a pic of their coin. If the coin interests me, I might comment. In the other 99% of such cases, no need to say anything.

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

The normal objective is to get the poster to realize that I'm not going to worry about questions they don't ask. They should ask the questions they wish answered. If they don't want an estimate of value, for example, that's fine; no need to tell them. If they are asking whether they should send it in to be graded, but do not ask for a grade, value, opinion on authenticity, or evaluation of variety, no problem; I assume they don't care, and if they don't, I don't. In most cases it's a "yes" or "no" question. (Well, mostly a "no" question in regard to being sent in to be graded. I can't believe some of the stuff people imagine they should spend $30-60 just to be told it's fake, or that it's not special.)

If they ask no questions at all, of course, I assume they just want to show us a pic of their coin. If the coin interests me, I might comment. In the other 99% of such cases, no need to say anything.

Very true, you knew exactly what I was preferring to about the yes and no. It's exciting to find you in these threads because I kind of get a feel that you're serious but on the other hand you just being real. I think the real part of it catches me off guard a little because you're not expecting the unexpected. Lol. Sometimes when you think you're day is just a Blah, and you get in here read some of this and actually get a kick out of people. It just makes my day better. 

Good morning gentlemen. Thank you for the insight on the proper way to phrase my questions. Please feel free to further amuse yourselves when I admit that as of several weeks ago I had yet to read or post anything on a web sight. My correspondence still consisted of pen and stationary. In fact, I have yet to understand what a tag means. In any case, i am aware that this coin carries no value. I am simply using it, among others as a learning tool. My specific questions are as follows.  1. Is the very slight doubling to the right of the nine and the first five md or could it be caused by a doubled die? I ask because with coin in hand it appears to be raised from the surface, although not as much as the main device.  2.  Could the small s to the right of the date be a misplaced mintmark?  3.  I believe a see some doubling in liberty but am not sure what caused it. md? Die cracks? A clash perhaps?  4. On the reverse  the right wheat ear has a grain that is raised well above the others. It stands out because it is shiny. I am guessing this is because it gets more contact with others objects that other areas of the coin.  5. There appears to be two periods between E and Pluribus. I am curious to discover if this is common and insignificant so that i may ignore it should I encounter it on a coin that may be of some value. 

I am not sure if it is proper to ask this next question here so please correct me if it is not. I have another coin of the same date with a differant set of questions. Should I post it here or start another thread?

Thanks to all of you who took the time to read this book and I apologize for doing things incorrectly.

Better to post it in its own thread lest people get confused about which coin is being referred to.

Edited by Conder101

1 hour ago, RJoe said:

Good morning gentlemen. Thank you for the insight on the proper way to phrase my questions. Please feel free to further amuse yourselves when I admit that as of several weeks ago I had yet to read or post anything on a web sight. My correspondence still consisted of pen and stationary.

I'm glad you found it helpful. Sometimes threads go in a bantery way away from the subject of the OP (original poster), and no longer really refer necessarily to the subject or person. We normally do not assume that in 2020 someone is just now learning to post on Internet sites, so if one is, one has some adjusting ahead because the medium will not adjust to the newcomer.