• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About Buffalo Nickels

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have two complete Buffalo Nickel albums and this board one. 
How would one go about trying to sell something like this?

0E7CB551-34F5-4DF3-B8D4-5CC2035D3D28.jpeg

Those old coin boards are super cool and it might be worth a bit of money by itself to some collectors.  As to the sets, its all about the condition of the coins, just doing a quick scan of the set in this board it seems to me that most of the high dollar coins are roughly in the VF range with some of the common dates in AU or low UNC.  The price guide I looked at shows a full date and mm set in VF25 at $4000 and for VF35 $5200.  Now that is just a price guide and those are usually on the high side so you should expect to get less than those two prices; and if the expensive coins grade lower than VF25 then the price will be much less than I've listed.

So if you can find a dealer in your area that is open and see what he might offer you for the sets, or you can try and sell them here on the marketplace section of the forum and of as a last option you can list them on Ebay.  I'm not sure if auction houses take raw sets like this or not; seems that most only sell slabbed coins; but you could contact Stacks or Heritage and see if its something they could do.  Remember that auction houses take a healthy cut so that might also factor into your decision.

Also before you do anything else you should check all the coins for the important overdates, varieties, and any two feather coins.  A good dealer should make you aware of those but some dealers would not so best to be aware before you ask for any offers.

Great set in that coin board and I hope you get top dollar.

Edited by Coinbuf

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's interesting that the 1938-D slot has a star next to it, which indicates a coin that was considered rare at the time (see note at the lower left of the board). This issue was indeed rare and eagerly sought in 1938, as vaults were already well stocked with unreleased nickels dated 1936-37. The Treasury Department and the Denver Mint were pestered with letters from desperate collectors until well into 1939, when the 1938-D issue finally entered the channels of commerce. By then collectors were watching and waiting, which is why such a large percentage of the mintage was preserved uncirculated.

Also very hard to find in 1938-39 were the new Jefferson Nickels. These were released in very limited numbers until all of the Buffalo Nickels had been distributed to banks.

It's interesting that there were three grades - good, fine, and uncirculated.

Edit to add that it seems like in the original board it might command a bit more $ than the total of the coins, but perhaps that's just me.

Edited by kbbpll

interesting to see how the buffalo and the indian pictured on the coin board are both facing in the wrong direction!

52 minutes ago, t-arc said:

interesting to see how the buffalo and the indian pictured on the coin board are both facing in the wrong direction!

(shrug)

external-content.duckduckgo1a.jpg