• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About the Mercury Dime Album

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have two complete Mercury Dime Albums and One that is half way. I also have a complete coin board.
E850F3CA-044B-4C3E-8F98-10C571FE0775.thumb.jpeg.7c27d23eee60187aeb27d242beb607a5.jpeg

Should I try to find the best quality coins and put them in one album or should I just leave them alone?

In my opinion, that would depend on  what the purpose of the albums and board is. If they are a remembrance  of The Collector who put them together, I would leave them alone.  If they are going to be sold, I may put the nicest ones in one album to try to get the best price for it.

On a related note: I would love to see pictures of the  various albums and coin boards that you have.

I would just leave them as is, if you attempt to move the coins around you could inadvertently damage one.  Great sets absolutely love seeing  those old coin boards. 

Those boards are amazing as is. Don't do a thing! If your fingers are itchy and you have to do something, those album pages to the right of the second shot would be the ones where there's less history. In particular the Coin Collector boards are really cool.

Can we see the two cent and Liberty Head Nickel boards?

Hey, NGC...to keep cool old boards and albums that hold really complete collections like this intact, is there a way you can design a product to grade the whole? Otherwise, there's still going to be that pressure to cherry pick key dates and we lose collecting history.

Edited by Kirt

This one board has two missing but I believe it reads “ Have It” so now I just need to find them. Not sure why these two would be stored somewhere else? Any ideas?

1909 -O

91C5F96A-E84C-4A87-BDA1-650356B1B1D3.thumb.jpeg.0ed6189c6f074de74ca31f8f4906bbec.jpeg

1913-S

Edited by FTW

In the Barber quarter series, for the dates of this board - 1906 to 1916 - the 1913-S, 1909-O, and 1914-S are probably the hardest to find in circulation. My guess is that that your great uncle had to purchase the two missing coins from a coin dealer, and that they are in a box somewhere, still in the holders that they were in when purchased.

Another possibility - that tissue paper under the 1908 and in the 1909 O spot is something my grandfather did, too - the Whitman folders and boards he used had some spots that were loose and wouldn't securely hold the coin. Rather than risk having it fall out and getting lost, he'd either do the tissue paper thing or make some obscure notation or a doodle and then we had to go figure out where it was stashed.