• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 Lincoln cent

10 posts in this topic

I can't tell if that's image artifacts or that's the coin's surface. If it is the latter, there is no way to tell if that's a die break or PMD.

Thank you. I see that there is a issue with what I post .I really am sorry if I offend anyone,I really thought that it was a die break or die clash.I do understand that you don't want junk to be seen here .😞

I was seeing a break, which starts from the 0 an raise from the surface of the coin.then it gets wider as it connects with Lincoln chin,I was thinking clash of the way it went haywire around the the portfolio of Lincoln.maybe better picture or less light.however I didn't it was a beat up coin,I know wear and damaged some still seeable

The reverse side has no statue,an has been filled in where the statue would be.even the word One has misprinted, look at the O in One which seems to cause a misaligned.In  the name E.Pluribus.UNUM. the E left side bottom,a form of crack spread to the building all from the surface of the coin

The reverse side has no statue,an has been filled in where the statue would be.even the word One has misprinted, look at the O in One which seems to cause a misaligned.In  the name E.Pluribus.UNUM. the E left side bottom,a form of crack spread to the building all from the surface of the coin.the die clashing is around in God we trust,as if Lincoln was wearing a hat and has a long Chinese beard.As you look at the clashing die ,down the back of Lincoln Back something is going on as all is coming from the surface which clearly.an I can see why you would say  artifacts.;)

4 hours ago, Jonescoins said:

Thank you. I see that there is a issue with what I post .I really am sorry if I offend anyone,I really thought that it was a die break or die clash.I do understand that you don't want junk to be seen here .😞

No offense taken at all. I tend to be direct...I genuinely can't tell from the pictures. If you can get better ones, it may be able to determine what you have on the coin.

Edited by Kirt

Those pictures are a little better but still not clear enough on the obverse to tell what's going on. I think it's just discoloration of the coin's surface in a way that makes it look like there could be something else going on.

For a die crack, you're looking for a raised line that runs across the surface of the coin; they often show up where devices are close together... not as commonly across the entire face of the coin. The other possibility is a lamination error where there's a flaw in the metal of the coin itself. These often look like a thin layer of the coin is missing or deformed.

Good luck - but I think you have a discolored cent.

Edited by Kirt