• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 d small date copper transitional error Lincoln penny

4 posts in this topic

It's kinda cool to think that 1982 technically was probably the last copper penny we will ever see.  Panchets were used up!!!.  16,725,504,368 total coins produced.

Here is the way my logic understands it. I assume that copper is easier to recycle than a plated Zinc and Copper. It takes less heat and you wouldn't have to separate the metals.  Maybe someone could help me fact check this. The more we know, and the larger the story- the higher the demand to find the error/lost series. Here is the timeline that I am imagining. There are A LOT  of these coins on  -bay and -tsy but none of them are graded and it is kind of a free for all. 

1st) 1982 Bronze Penny Lg Print - coined to test   

2nd) 1982 Zinc Penny LG Print - Coined and due to the density of the new metals an update was made to the mint !!

3rd) 1982 Bronze Penny  Small Print (Last copper coins ever!!!)

4th) 1982 Zinc Penny Small Print (Finish out coinage year and series)

For anyone reading this that doesn't know already do not be fooled this is a large date and it is not rare or valuable.

I encourage everyone to report this post as the op is advertising fake goods for sale.

Edited by Coinbuf