• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny

17 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Can't tell much from that photo. Have you tried a magnet on it?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I really can't advise you on any kind of cleaning. In any case, NGC would not render an opinion on authenticity unless it's formally submitted. You should get some opinions from experienced collectors or dealers before deciding whether to submit it.

Money16502

You should really have started your own post. It causes confusion when there are different coins on the same post.

To answer your question, we are going to need to see clear pictures of both sides. There are many counterfeits out there and we will need to see it before anyone can give you advise on what to do.

Umm ok, that's what I thought I had done, my apologies. I will do my best to take and upload better pics of both sides later today. I read that it should weigh a certain amount so I'll also try to provide that as well.

7 hours ago, Happycolors said:

Umm ok, that's what I thought I had done, my apologies. I will do my best to take and upload better pics of both sides later today. I read that it should weigh a certain amount so I'll also try to provide that as well.

No need to apologize. Greenstang was not talking to you. He was talking to the person above his post, who posted on your thread, and stated that they had a 1943 steel cent. Notice how he led off with their name?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Oh, I see that now and thank you. 

These pics are the best I can get with a phone. Obviously the penny is very worn. It weighs 3.0g. I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually a 1948.

15884464166017389158264547543050.jpg

15884465387334690389441000980621.jpg

Ditto to the above. Compare the date on your genuine 1943s to the date on this coin. Not the same.

And, as a general rule, cleaning coins lowers their value significantly. Don't do it.

Thanks y'all for taking the time to help for the advice. I knew cleaning coins is a big NO-NO so I don't do that. 

Would y'all be willing to help me out with some other coins that I have? Like a 1909 V.D.B. "no-mint"

We would be glad to help out. Just start a new post for each coin. Make sure you crop your pictures so that we get a larger view of the coin. Being able to see all the details is important.