• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About 1916 D Mercury Dime

8 posts in this topic

It grades as Good 04 or Good 06 at best, the bigger issue is that this is the most counterfeited dime ever so the real question is its authenticity.  For that we would need a better clear close up of the "D" mintmark.

AG-4.

I'm not sure who came up with that method, but the first grade is what it deserves, and the second is what many dealers would try and palm it off as.

I tried to get a better picture of the D mint Mark. I’m pretty sure it is real. I did not buy this coin. It belongs to my father-in-law that inherited a coin collection from his great Uncle that was a bank owner/collector. 

4D71AAD5-E926-4A0F-919D-57D783732136.jpeg

6 hours ago, JKK said:

AG-4.

I'm not sure who came up with that method, but the first grade is what it deserves, and the second is what many dealers would try and palm it off as.

8 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

By my standards, AG-3, but I have seen coins like this slabbed as high as VG-8. (Although G-6 is more common)

Exactly right. If that coin were on any dealer's table or website, it would be Good or better.