• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 One dollar coin
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi! So I have a 1971 one dollar coin and I've looked it up, but what I can't find about it is that it's almost bowl shaped. Seems like it was done when it was pressed. I'm trying to figure out just how much this coin is actually worth... Any help would be great!!

The lighting was off on the second picture... It's not that gold color..  it's the same color as the first..

IMG_20200421_205214022.jpg

IMG_20200421_205438215.jpg

I'm not completely discounting it. I do see images that have a concave "look" around the portrait. Whether it's real or illusion, can't say. Don't the raw dies start out cone-shaped? I do know that there are concave and convex versions of Canadian 1948 50c specimen coins, which is why I'm open to the possibility. Search Heritage archives for "1971 $1" and the first three rows of results have several with that look, like this one https://coins.ha.com/itm/eisenhower-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1971-1-ms65-pcgs-pcgs-population-999-90-ngc-census-718-45-cdn-50-whsle-bid-for-problem-free-ngc-pcgs-ms65-min/a/131732-23422.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515. Notice how all around Liberty the field seems to curve downward to Ike's portrait. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Die erosion can result in a raised or lowered "halo" on the coin as the die surface progressively sinks. This is normal and does not carry any premium.

14 minutes ago, Monica123 said:

Hi!  I have a 1971 one dollar. I'm trying to figure out just how much this coin is actually worth. Thank you. 

20210227_001029.jpg

20210227_001019.jpg

To echo a remark I have heard many times before, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. (That goes for the gold electro plated quarters you may have seen or heard of.)

It's worth $1 in purchasing power. A color-added coin is valued at whatever someone would pay for it - but at you local 7-11 --- it's $1.

And no, do not wast money on authentication/grading/suntan lotion/Lysol/ or bees' wax.