• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1793 flowing hair strawberry large cent

11 posts in this topic

I inherited a coin collection from my grandfather some time back and finally getting to it. One coin I found is a 1793 flowing hair cent in good condition with the strawberry leaves. did they make old reproductions or counterfeits 20-50 years ago?

The 1793 flowing hair cent is a very rare coin that has been counterfeited many times. As stated, good pictures of both sides where we can see the details will be required before anyone here can help you.

According to Breen, there was only one die used for the "strawberry" obverse, and your coin does not match it. The leaves, numbers and letters are different. In order to avoid giving assistance to any counterfeiters who might read this thread in the future that is as specific as I care to get.

Edited to add: And, now that you have posted the reverse, I can see that it is completely different from both known reverses.

Edited by Just Bob

The reverse is that of S-8.  See the line of berries going up to the left serif of S2, S-8 is the only reverse that has that.  on the two strawberry leaf varieties it goes to below the center of the S.  The obverse is also based on S-8 with the sprig under the bust altered.  The size and spacing of the date matches S-8 as well.

What is the edge like?

Edited by Conder101

18 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Agree, not even close to being genuine.

Just Google " 1793 flowing hair dollar " and compare a picture of a genuine coin to yours.

A flowing hair dollar should look very, very different from a fake penny, I must concur.

Even if you googled 1793 flowing hair cent what you get may not look like what you have.  This happens a lot when someone asks if an early coin is real.  Someone will call it fake because it doesn't match an image they post of a completely different variety.  Or they post an image of a different variety and say "it should look like this", and of course it doesn't.