• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with large World Collection

36 posts in this topic

What a huge undertaking that has been!  A quick perusal, and just an FYI but under Japan you have 1932 5 sen listed twice.  One has a reasonable valuation ($7 for AU), but the other is $1350 for XF/AU.  JNDA would put that at 80-150 yen, could that have been meant to be 1.35? 150 yen is about $1.41 at the moment.

Looking at this I realize I had better start getting my collection/accumulation under better control.  That is a lot of work to leave someone, even if it is a labor of love.

Hope you are all doing well. We have had so many great suggestions - thank you again.

We are going to move forward with a loose plan to focus on the higher value coins by getting approximately the top 100 coins professionally graded. Our thoughts are to send a small sample batch to NGC & talk to Great Collections as well. We would then continue on in batches moreso to have a comfort level than to turn over all 100 at once. 

After that, we would then do some economy version of slabbing for the coins remaining over $100. We have to educate ourselves on exactly what economy slabbing means. 

The rest would be divided by country and we'd come up with a plan to dispose of in lots, auction or some other method TBD. 

Does this sound like a good strategy? Apologies for being repetitive, but the collection is truly overwhelming. But historically so interesting at the same time!

If you have GC send those through to grading, if my experience was any guide, you'll get faster turnaround. I remember lower-hammering coins generating a higher auction fee, though.

The 80% concept works in the other direction too.  The least valuable 20% of the collection will be the hardest to sell for anything like what it cost to acquire.  Please consider just donating those to a coin club with young numismatists.