• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help possible design error?

8 posts in this topic

I have enquired this 1983-P cent, die crack in head hair but also ,I am curious if this cent has some kind of design error to it.

Need help from a more educated and experienced coin collector .

Area of notice

Mouth 

Ear

Bowtie 

Screenshot_20200419-125803_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20200419-130632_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200419-130532_eBay.jpg

Edited by Coin Maximus
Sometimes happen I lost pictures

Welcome to the Forum-

That is a Die Crack on the reverse and it looks like that may be a crack running through Lincoln's head. I can't tell from the picture what is going on with the mouth, ear and bowtie. Will need a clear close-up of those areas before I can say what it is. It's possibly just damage. If you cropped your pictures, you would be able to post larger images.

47 minutes ago, Coin Maximus said:

Ok greenstang thanks I'll try to get better pictures. 

20200419_125824.jpg

The bowtie seems to be missing it's part and the collar seems to extend farther then intended.? 

43 minutes ago, Coin Maximus said:

Screenshot_20200420-065404_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200420-065212_Gallery.jpg

The corner of the month is unusual compared  by some factor that I can't describe. 

47 minutes ago, Coin Maximus said:

Screenshot_20200420-065404_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200420-065212_Gallery.jpg

The ear has a collie flower or hart type cavity?

Any help is appreciated and constructive criticism of lack of knowledge is appreciated. 

Clearer images of the bowtie area that are like your copper-colored ones above would help (i.e. nicely focused, natural color). Definitely looks like a die crack through Abe's head out to the rim, which is cool. The ear and mouth areas you highlight look like normal parts of the design to me. The (viewers') right side of the bowtie is weak anyway so it could just be a bit of grease struck thru. Edit to add that I think what your arrow points to in front of the lips is just a plating bubble.

Edited by kbbpll

1)  The mouth shape is normal

2)  The bowtie looks odd but its because a small section of the coat detail under the bowtie is missing, due to die polishing or grease in the die at striking perhaps.

3)  The area by the ear looks exaggerated again perhaps grease in the die or something that affected the strike.