• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Amazing Cleaned Coin
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2020 at 2:12 PM, ronnie stein said:

kbbpll, I can't think of another word that tops 'spectacular', so yep, that's what that fifty cent piece is.

Thanks for the kind words. The 50c curved right Maple Leaf has been a holy grail for me since I was a kid, after my grandfather gave us each a bunch of coins including some Canadian silver. This popped up around my 60th birthday and I thought, spoon it, I'm getting one. The TrueView looks brown and the HA images (above) were not flattering either. Then the coin showed up, and wow.

What's the story on why you carry around your 1855? I'm guessing there has to be one.

@Voltyrisgreat idea for a thread, I hope more people post theirs.

Edited by kbbpll

Glad to see such purchases!

@ronnie stein Thanks for your comment as well as the funny remarks! A few of my coins used to travel with me, causing all sort of problems at security checks, specially when you carry several of them.. Ah well back when there was travel : )  

@kbbpll Thank you for your comment. Hopefully we get to see more entries!

The 50c is brilliant, quite the outstanding SP. I was wondering why you didn't post the trueview images. I went there and checked them myself. A cook collection coin, I read about it, quite the comprehensive one in Canadian Coins. Well, you bought it from a serious collector who agrees with you. 

On 4/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, Voltyris said:

A cook collection coin, I read about it, quite the comprehensive one in Canadian Coins. Well, you bought it from a serious collector who agrees with you. 

Not to derail the thread, but yes, Cook assembled the most complete collection of Canadian coins, sort of the Eliasberg of Canada. Unfortunately he seemed to like a certain look for his coins, and wasn't afraid to make them that way. 25% of the ~1000 coins in the Cook Collection auction were detailed - cleaned, repaired, smoothed, altered, etc. He ruined a lot of coins. So it's possible a certain amount of "Cook bias" crept into the grading room ATS and they mistook die polish for hairlines on this one. I'll resubmit to NGC at some point.

Hoping to see more coins posted here.

3680775_Full_Obv.jpg?q=04202020193308

3680775_Full_Rev.jpg?q=04202020193308

Sadly, I'm in this boat and a costly ride it was...but life goes on and there's plenty of other coins out there waiting to be found.
My...dammit coin....LOL

Edited by EdG_Ohio

On 4/25/2020 at 6:05 PM, kbbpll said:

Not to derail the thread, but yes, Cook assembled the most complete collection of Canadian coins, sort of the Eliasberg of Canada. Unfortunately he seemed to like a certain look for his coins, and wasn't afraid to make them that way. 25% of the ~1000 coins in the Cook Collection auction were detailed - cleaned, repaired, smoothed, altered, etc. He ruined a lot of coins. So it's possible a certain amount of "Cook bias" crept into the grading room ATS and they mistook die polish for hairlines on this one. I'll resubmit to NGC at some point.

Hoping to see more coins posted here.

Thank you for the interesting information!

I came across a few details coins from this collection, but it wasn't enough to register a pattern.

I guess when you are collecting on this magnitude, you feel the power : )

Definitely resubmit, hopefully you get the desired grade.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, ronnie stein said:

I'd love to see this thread 'take off'. Surely there's cleaned coins to show off out there. Here's the only coin I have left. Just my attempt to maybe bring the thread 'back up'. The coin is definitely not an 'amazing cleaned coin'. It's amazing how they cleaned it, with 120 lbs pressure of sandblasting or whatever. (Even more amazing that I didn't have the knowledge to 'not send it in'. 

Haha "Whizzed" always seems to crack me up. Interesting choice of word in a field like Numismatics. 

How did you figure out the whizzing method on that one? 120 lbs of sandblasting, the poor coin must have suffered : ) 

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully we see more coins.

Edited by Voltyris

(How did you figure it the whizzing method on that one? 120 lbs of sandblasting, the poor coin must have suffered : ))-----   ---- I just figured it took a lot of pressure to 'pit' it like that. NCS Conservation wouldn't stand a chance on that coin. Physically damaged forever. Now the mental damage, the coin couldn't take it any more, went and got herself good and Whizzed. Thought it would be only right to join her with a double Crowne and cola, Buzzed. We buzzed and whizzed for awhile, laughed, and soon after, all was ok again, her self esteem returned.

17 hours ago, numisport said:

All nice coins but I'm confused about the phrase "improperly cleaned". Wouldn't ANY cleaning be improper ?

Well, to my knowledge, they classify cleaning into three categories: 

1- Cleaned: A details grade with the term "Cleaned". Implying the coin was cleaned but still managed to maintain its grace. Probably a good cleaning job.

2- Improperly Cleaned: A details grade with the term "Improperly Cleaned". The Coin has lost its grace. Botched cleaning job. Someone wasn't a gentleman to the coin.

3- Numismatic Conservation Services™ (NCS®): In this situation, you send a coin to be cleaned by NGC. Pro cleaning. It's like when you hire a professional cleaner to clean a crime scene and hide the body. In this case, your coin is innocent of any crimes committed. Now don't forget, NGC might botch the job as well, no guarantees. It's conserved first then sent to grading. Oh and it is called "conserving", never "cleaning".

---------------------

For a coin to be cleaned and still manage to win a straight grade, it has to be a job well done, too good for the grading expert to catch.

In some instances, the experts fail to have their coffee, on account of running late, or being really busy on that morning, and they still assign a cleaned grade to your perfectly innocent uncleaned coin : ) 

I hope my comments doesn't open the door to a holy war, however, it's a forum, and all civil discussions are welcome : ) 

Edited by Voltyris

@ronnie stein

In my opinion, there in one, and possibly two people, who know "precisely" what imparted that bright, tangerine color to your coin.  In all my years I have never seen a coin presenting that color -- and, barring the white tape on its mouth, (I assume to resist Covid-19) would venture to say the very novelty of the coin, it's composition, overall condition and color more than justifies it's price -- and then some.  I like your coin, unconditionally (unless @VKurtB dispenses with the matter by simple staing:  "it was immersed in Kool Aid, Quntus!  You kiddin' me?"  No one can account for taste;  I still like it.   🐓 

On 5/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, numisport said:

All nice coins but I'm confused about the phrase "improperly cleaned". Wouldn't ANY cleaning be improper ?

Yes and No.  In 99.44%  of improper cleanings, the cleaning agents or solvents were not subsequently rinsed off with distilled water.  Even alcohol leaves a residue.  And patting down with cotton cloth is verb oten.

An example of "improper cleaning" would be using acid, hoverever briefly and a brillo pad which I used to ground down two miserable looking coins to a planchet-like appearace.

I want to go on record as saying I truly like @ronnie stein's orange coins irrespective of the nature of the affliction and color.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: word chosen and punctuation.