• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just a question?

28 posts in this topic

Not sure of your question.  Are you saying a newer cent struck over a 1943 copper?  If so, that would be virtually impossible.

Edited by l.cutler

I know I should wait for the experts, but,..I'm sure you already know it's not real. The 1943 copper/replicas (fake) sell on websites for $1. If you already have one, then it's used, so I'd say about a  nickel, maybe less. Unless it's red, then a dime.

Edited by ronnie stein

Any 1943 copper cents were just accidentally struck on left over copper planchets.  Any that were found would have been destroyed.  They would not have been over struck.

When I took the pictures,my camera settings go from 1 to 8 .I took these on 4. ..so am I seeing to much? This coin was used several times, it even has a D covering a D with a S on the tip of the D.clear image by date.1943above .so I'm asking have they really been destroyed? .

I don't know what to say, you are trying to see things that just aren't there.  This is a perfectly normal 1973 D Lincoln cent.  If you look at any circulated coin close enough you can imagine just about anything.  While it is certainly possible for a struck coin to be struck again later it would be extremely rare.  There was the 1941 Canadian quarter that was overstruck in I believe 1970.  This was determined to be done on purpose by a mint employee, that is the only way it could happen.  Think about it, why would a mint employee take an extremely rare coin like a 1943 copper cent and purposely destroy it?

Guys I'm not fighting with you.im saying that circulation coins are useless basically unless they are super rare! This I have learned from you! So now I'm trying to find something super 😂 rare, beside I think it's a pretty good example.

No harm in looking, I have been doing it for over 50 years now.  The most valuable coins I have ever found were a few silver dimes.  Just don't try to force a coin to be valuable, it doesn't work that way.  Your 1973 D is just that, a 1973 D.  If you like it, keep it but it is only worth one cent.  The reason some coins are valuable is because they are extremely rare, if they were everywhere in circulation they would have no value.  If you find something worth slightly more than face value, consider yourself lucky.

Edited by l.cutler

Maybe that's where I'm really trying to understand.That if we can see D/S or S/D ,why is it that with a loope we see the same thing on the date .that we are seeing to much? As you can see I am trying to understand

"that we are seeing to much"

Sometimes when you are looking too hard  for errors, your mind can trick you into seeing something that is not there. There is a term used often and that is "pareidolia" which basically means seeing something that is not there. The best thing is to learn what is possible to happen and what isn't during the striking of a coin which is the only time an error can occur. Also things like a Doubled Die and Repunched Mint Marks are not errors but varieties.

Best thing to do before even looking for coins is to study up on the minting process.  Keep at it until you understand it inside and out, then it will be easier to understand what you are seeing on your coins.  Good luck!

On 4/19/2020 at 7:18 AM, Jonescoins said:

im saying that circulation coins are useless basically unless they are super rare! This I have learned from you! So now I'm trying to find something super 😂 rare,

More power to you, just understand that it is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen.  Oh and there ARE 1942 cents out there that have been overstruck with fake "soft die" 1943 dies.  And of course the Chinese counterfeiter have fake dies for various dates including 1943.  Nothing stopping them from making a fake copper 1943 struck over another dated cent.