• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 D d/s Lincoln cent odd color

9 posts in this topic

Hello to all:). I have this 1962 d strange looking haven't seen something like this.d/s it's not the best of shape.lol what do you guys think?

IMG_20200416_052823159.jpg

IMG_20200416_052835076.jpg

IMG_20200416_052913083.jpg

Edited by Jonescoins

There is a lot of wear and damage on it. I am not sure what the S mark is. I have not heard or read of a variety like that. So my guess it is just not mint created, but made by someone during circulation. Often called PMD

It looks to be too large to be a San Francisco mint mark for a cent

The D mintmark is over a S ! The S stick out of the top side of the D can you see that date 1838 under Lincoln corner jacket.that big S old coinage:) I did the tape test it's a small date

The Mint did not start using a S mm on their Memorial Cents until 1968 so it can't be a D over S.

Also there is no small or large date for 1962. They all used the same master hub so any difference would be from  either wear or die deterioration.

Edited by Greenstang

Your photos are too blurry and without a closeup of the mintmark its impossible to see anything from these photos.  However @Greenstang is correct the minting process of that timeframe absolutely precludes the possibility of a D over S mintmark.  Whatever it is you see is just from all the damage that coin has been subjected to; in fact Varity Vista has no known over mintmarks during the entire sixties and seventies.

The San Francisco mint had been closed for 7 years.  I seriously doubt the mintmark punch was laying there on the desk where it could be accidently picked up and used.  Most likely it was packed away somewhere.  Why keep a tool around for a mint that was closed nad not expected to reopen.

A coin this damaged is going to have lots of things that your brain tries to make into letters and numbers, or faces, etc. It isn't real. I see two more S's on your obverse in other places. It's just an illusion.