Roger Burdette's Saint Gaudens Double Eagles Book
2 2

225 posts in this topic

8,669 posts

And before they formed Goldberg Auctions they either owned or were the principal partners of Superior Galleries which was one of the premier auction houses.  Not quite on the level of Heritage but close.  Once the Goldbergs left Superior it started going downhill and I believe disappeared in the early 90's. 

1,949 posts
13 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

And before they formed Goldberg Auctions they either owned or were the principal partners of Superior Galleries which was one of the premier auction houses.  Not quite on the level of Heritage but close.  Once the Goldbergs left Superior it started going downhill and I believe disappeared in the early 90's. 

Yes, I saw that name a few times along with Parmount (I think David Akers worked there).

It's fascinating to read about the gold dealers and collectors from the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's.  Israel Switt's jewelry shop is still around I think....alot of the coin collectors like Mehl and FCC Boyd had associates or themselves active in the 1950's-1970's.

Do Heritage, Legend, or Great Collections trace their lineage to any of the older gold dealers as far as you know ?  Clearly, Stacks is still around from 1937.

Would be interested to read a book -- or maybe an internet posting, more likely -- tracing the creation and dissolution of all those classic firms including which of today's firms they may have morphed into today.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12,420 posts

An earlier question mentioned gold licenses, so here's a Treasury telegram about two types. Don't expect clarity. Things were still confused in October 1933.

19331012 Gold license procedures sm.jpg

Edited by RWB

12,420 posts

The point of licenses TGL-4 and TGL-4A was that the holder could acquire gold as used, scrap or unrefined material and had to keep it in that form until deposited at a Mint or Assay Office. This was specifically intended to prevent melting gold coins (foreign or domestic) and casting into bars, or mixing scrap gold with melted coin to imitate a bar of scrap. This was in response to smuggling of US gold into Canada as scrap bars. It also covered Treasury's policy of buying gold scrap at the daily market fix, and legal tender coins at face value.

Edited by RWB

12,420 posts
4 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Roger, when did gold get revalued up to $35/oz. ?

The official date was January 31, 1934. That's when it became law versus Treasury's floating buying price.

12,863 posts
On 5/23/2020 at 10:24 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yes, I saw that name a few times along with Parmount (I think David Akers worked there).

It's fascinating to read about the gold dealers and collectors from the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's.  Israel Switt's jewelry shop is still around I think....alot of the coin collectors like Mehl and FCC Boyd had associates or themselves active in the 1950's-1970's.

Do Heritage, Legend, or Great Collections trace their lineage to any of the older gold dealers as far as you know ?  Clearly, Stacks is still around from 1937.

Would be interested to read a book -- or maybe an internet posting, more likely -- tracing the creation and dissolution of all those classic firms including which of today's firms they may have morphed into today.

B. Max Mehl, who was my grandmother’s uncle, was a dealer, not a collector.

To my knowledge, Heritage, formed by Steve Ivy and Jim Halperin, has no ties to “older gold” (or other) dealers.

1,949 posts
1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

B. Max Mehl, who was my grandmother’s uncle, was a dealer, not a collector.

To my knowledge, Heritage, formed by Steve Ivy and Jim Halperin, has no ties to “older gold” (or other) dealers.

Thanks Mark....that's interesting because I guess I just assumed that every dealer, even if they look at it as a business, have to have some emotional attachment to the hobby and "collect" at least SOME coins. 

But maybe not. xD

I guess when you see all the coins passing through your inventory, maybe it's not as special to those of us who are strictly collectors.

1,949 posts
14 hours ago, RWB said:

The point of licenses TGL-4 and TGL-4A was that the holder could acquire gold as used, scrap or unrefined material and had to keep it in that form until deposited at a Mint or Assay Office. This was specifically intended to prevent melting gold coins (foreign or domestic) and casting into bars, or mixing scrap gold with melted coin to imitate a bar of scrap. This was in response to smuggling of US gold into Canada as scrap bars. It also covered Treasury's policy of buying gold scrap at the daily market fix, and legal tender coins at face value.

Wait a second.....after gold was raised to $35/oz., the smuggling would have ended, right ?  So that wouldn't have been a factor.

And regardless of the price of gold, what does the Treasury care if a dealer (or even a non-dealer) is melting used gold, scrap, coins, or bars ?  As long as smuggling has stopped -- which presumably it has, since the domestic price is now higher -- would they have cared what the few dealers or licensees did with various forms of gold ?

They just wanted to prevent hoarding and export -- which reduced the domestic stock and by implication, the money supply.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12,863 posts
6 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Thanks Mark....that's interesting because I guess I just assumed that every dealer, even if they look at it as a business, have to have some emotional attachment to the hobby and "collect" at least SOME coins. 

But maybe not. xD

I guess when you see all the coins passing through your inventory, maybe it's not as special to those of us who are strictly collectors.

Sure thing. I’m not saying he didn’t collect - I don’t know if he did. But either way, he wasn’t known as a collector, but rather, as a dealer.

12,420 posts

RE: "Wait a second.....after gold was raised to $35/oz., the smuggling would have ended, right ?  So that wouldn't have been a factor."

Treasury was clear that US coins were not to be melted - including after the Act of January 31, 1934. Coins and bars made from coin gold (or suspected to be) were paid for at their old legal tender value. The assumption by Treasury was that if US coins were melted in Mexico and imported to the US, that they had been originally exported as speculation/hording and not for legitimate commercial purposes. This position helped preserve many US gold coins overseas where they could be traded at bullion value.

USSS (RG 87) files include a number of investigations related to this.

2 posts

Hi guys!  Just found this thread (thanks to an email from Roger) and would like to add kudos to the phenomenon that is Roger's Book!  I was years into collecting Saint Gauden's Double Eagle (SGDE) die varieties (for which there were scant published resources available) when Heritage sent me an early copy.  Best present I ever got!  Suffice it to say, this was the long needed comprehensive reference to elevate the discussion of this previously under studied and often misunderstood series.  Roger's accomplishment is nothing short of awesome!

Gold coins generally suffer in die variety discussion circles as they are intrinsically as well as numismatically expensive for many collectors to consider beyond type acquisition.  Just read the intro to the "gold" section of the Volume II Cherrypicker's guide if you don't believe me!  Thanks to Roger that may change.  You may note from the book that many of the later so-called "common" date Saints have interesting associated die varieties which are quite scarce by comparison with their common brethren.  The 1922, (less common 1922 S), 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, and 1928 all fall into this category.  Along with the 09/08 and some re-punched mintmarks from the early years, these coins make up an affordable subset of interesting and possibly rare SGDE's available at prices close to "melt".  Since collecting this series in traditional "date/mint-mark" fashion is not practical for most of us, it's nice to have alternatives, both affordable and rare, from this series upon which to focus one's collecting attention.  Check out the Cherrypicker's Guide and NGC's Variety Plus page (https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/gold-double-eagles/saint-gaudens-20-1907-1933/?page=1) for some details and illustrations.  A new version of Volume II of TCPG is due out before the end of the year, and I have it on good authority that some new SGDE varieties will most likely be added, mainly from Roger's book! 

Not sure ANA's 2020 Pittsburgh convention is going to come off in August due to Covid 19, but I have requested to give a "Money Talks" review of  SGDE varieties at the convention.  Will post an update if it looks like it is going to happen.

12,420 posts

Looking forward to the Money Talks presentation - if ANA happens this year.

Thanks for the kind remarks. I hope the book will encourage others to uncover more double eagle varieties.

1,949 posts
2 hours ago, rajosco said:

Not sure ANA's 2020 Pittsburgh convention is going to come off in August due to Covid 19, but I have requested to give a "Money Talks" review of  SGDE varieties at the convention.  Will post an update if it looks like it is going to happen.

Welcome, Raj, glad to hear from you.  Yes, Roger deserves major kudos for his spectacular book on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles.

I'm not into die varieties (yet) myself -- I'm still learning the basics and learning other things surrounding Saints -- but I would have interest in your talk.  I'm not sure if I can get out to ANA Pittsburgh, so hopefully you can post the PowerPoint presentation and any slides here or somewhere if it's not available at the ANA website.

And I do agree with you...the die varieties among Saints ARE very interesting and a nice thing to consider collecting, beyong the major types.

Have you read/finished Roger's book cover-to-cover ?  Took me a bit over a month.

Edited by GoldFinger1969