• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1912 $2.5 Indian head

10 posts in this topic

How can I tell if my 1912 $2.5 Indian Is real or not. I’m reading this is a highly counterfeited coin. I want to send it in for grading but don’t wanna be shafted extra hard if it gets returned as a non genuine.

077F0F13-03FB-447E-B0EB-3BB021422365.jpeg

9FCFA425-2046-447B-822A-102527DC91E7.jpeg

I don't see anything in the photo that would worry me, yes this series (especially the 11-D) is one that is highly counterfeited.  I'm not an expert on gold so hopefully some others can respond with their thoughts also.  Grade wise it looks like an AU58 for what appears to be some very slight high point rub on the obv.

Gold is actually a fairly “soft” metal and biting into pure gold will leave an indentation on a gold coin. If you bite a “gold” coin and can't leave a mark, it's not pure gold. This is the way people used to “test” gold. I don't know if NGC or anyone in these chat boards would approve of this. I'll wait to get Swatted very soon.

6 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

Gold is actually a fairly “soft” metal and biting into pure gold will leave an indentation on a gold coin. If you bite a “gold” coin and can't leave a mark, it's not pure gold. This is the way people used to “test” gold. I don't know if NGC or anyone in these chat boards would approve of this. I'll wait to get Swatted very soon.

It irritates me to no end when photographers ask Olympic gold medalists to pretend to bite their newly won medals.

7 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

Are you for real?

A 1912 quarter eagle isn't pure gold. It's 90% gold and 10% copper.

Don't bite this work of art!  This would not be a heavily counterfeited coin.  You are looking at a $300 coin if straight graded (meaning no one cleaned it, had it set in jewelry, etc.)  Good luck with the process.  These are my favorite coins!

8 minutes ago, Matt_dac said:

This would not be a heavily counterfeited coin.

Actually, it's #11 on NGC's top 50 most counterfeited coins. https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/top/united-states/11/. If I remember correctly, many of these were created with the correct gold content and smuggled into the US to get around the prohibition on owning gold, and not for the numismatic value. I can't quickly find a reference on that though. I can't tell a real one from a fake one so no help there.

21 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Actually, it's #11 on NGC's top 50 most counterfeited coins. https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/top/united-states/11/. If I remember correctly, many of these were created with the correct gold content and smuggled into the US to get around the prohibition on owning gold, and not for the numismatic value. I can't quickly find a reference on that though. I can't tell a real one from a fake one so no help there.

Well I stand corrected. Wild!