• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1908 NM St. Gauden

19 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum.

It is hard to say anything specific as there are numerous different counterfeits out there.

The best way is to compare the coin in question with a photo of a Genuine one. If this is not feasible, post a clear picture of both sides of the coin in question and there will be someone here who will be able to help you.

You have to be VERY CARFUL when dealing with raw gold, especially Saints.  If you're not well-versed in grading Saints or looking for fakes, make sure the dealer is someone you know and/or trust.

Post some pics and we can probably help you.  We'll let you know what we see and why.

Posting specific information that will help counterfeiters to improve their product is not something we normally do on an open forum, but, as a general rule, you should check weight, and look for tool marks, raised areas, and depressions that do not look like scratches or contact marks.

53 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Posting specific information that will help counterfeiters to improve their product is not something we normally do on an open forum, but, as a general rule, you should check weight, and look for tool marks, raised areas, and depressions that do not look like scratches or contact marks.

I get where  you are coming from, but I don't think counterfeiters are scanning forums like this to try and fool the more informed buyers...they're looking to catch the folks who watch infomercials and pay 30% over FMV.  They're looking to fool the easily fooled, not the hardcore collectors.

That said, there are some pretty well-known "tells" that help differentiate real vs. fake.  Tough to recreate them unless you're using pretty expensive and big equipment.

8 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I get where  you are coming from, but I don't think counterfeiters are scanning forums like this to try and fool the more informed buyers...they're looking to catch the folks who watch infomercials and pay 30% over FMV.  They're looking to fool the easily fooled, not the hardcore collectors.

Don't kid yourself.  Sure the fakers making junk thats significantly off weight and wrong composition, the stuff that is laughable, they don't follow the forums.  But the producers of higher end products do.

As for telling you what things to look for, that doesn't really work too well because every counterfeiter has a different "thing".  If you focus on searching for a specific feature, you end up missing all the other fakes that don't have it.  The best advice is to study as many known genuine coins as you can.  Every producer has their own "style" for lack of a bettter word.  Once you are very familiar with the style of a genuine coin, a fake just immediatle send up warning signs.  Even if you can't say WHY a coin is fake you just get that "off" feeling that tells you to look deeper.

Edited by Conder101

On 4/11/2020 at 1:30 PM, tcshap said:

Anyone know what to look for on a raw St Gauden, Authentic vs Counterfeit/Fake? Thanks!

How do I upload photos? Thanks.

50 minutes ago, tcshap said:

How do I upload photos? Thanks.

When you reply, you should see a paper clip, below where you respond, that is next to the words: "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."

Click "choose files ", locate your photos on your computer or phone, and click "open."

43 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

When you reply, you should see a paper clip, below where you respond, that is next to the words: "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."

Click "choose files ", locate your photos on your computer or phone, and click "open."

Not to sure how to select my phone, when I click on the choose files it brings up my computer files.

Need to see the reverse....if you're taking the pics with a smartphone, try and take a few shots of each side angling the light so we can see the reflections/luster.

Coin looks legit on this side....where'd you get it ?  How much did you pay for it ? 

11 hours ago, tcshap said:

They won't let me download anymore pic's?

The limit is 4.88 MB per post, so you can't put two pictures over 2.44 MB in the same post. You should be able to post a picture of the reverse by itself, though.

Edited by Just Bob