• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Lincoln Wheat Cent copper?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone i am new to the Numismatic, i got this one bank roll hunting still debating on it. I used a clear digital magnifying glass to have a closer look it appears to look like a 1943. Your thoughts on this will be appreciated. Thank you. On one of the pictures I outlined of what it appears to resemble 1943. 

20200410_180053.jpg

19433.jpg

IMG_20200413_141330.jpg

Edited by MARK RAMIREZ
More pictures

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately you do not have a mega valuable 1943 copper coin, the coin you have has significant post mint damage (also known as PMD).  the last two numerals are much too close together and the metal to make that numeral which has been moved as much as this could never retain or resemble its original shape.  Impossible to say what date it was when it left the mint but certainly not 1943.  It may have been created in an attempt to fool someone into thinking its something its not, or the sands of time have just been ever so harsh on this coin, we will never know how it came to look like this.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I don't believe that coin was damaged. It appears to be one of the many cents of the 1910s and 1920s that were coined from severely worn dies. The final two numerals of the date were among the features that disappeared soonest. I can't quite tell whether it has V.D.B. on the truncation of Lincoln's bust, but if it's lacking then the coin was made prior to 1918.