• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the same 1928 Peace Dollar?

6 posts in this topic

I am in the process of completing a set of raw peace dollars, and I just bought a 1928 peace dollar from an auction on AuctionZip. The first 2 photos were shown in the auction and the coin does not appear to have been dipped and looks great to me. I received the coin today and in my opinion the coin looks like nothing from the auction photos. The coin I received appears to have been dipped. I would have posted better pictures, but the camera on my iPhone 10 has the worst camera ever. So in you expert opinions do you think the coin I received could not be the coin in the auction photos? Or do you think the auction company took photos trying to deceive buyers? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

5.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I can see that it's the same coin, but the pictures below look much nicer than the horse*spoon* ones that began the post. For one thing, the fingerprints don't come out in the below pictures. As for what the auction house did or did not do, and their reasoning, I cannot speculate. I can only say that I see two differently presented photo sets of the same coin, one of which displays significantly more flaws.

Like @JKK I see that many of the marks line up and are identical in the two sets of photos so I do believe you got what you bid on.  There are sellers that use photos to represent the coin in the best possible way which may not be how the coin appears once in hand.  I don't know what you spent or your motivation to purchase this coin, I can say that I wouldn't have bid over melt from either of the two sets of photos.

You got snookered by Photo Editor Software. If the 3 photos on the bottom of the page are from the auction. Your coin was cleaned rather harsh. There's a Dr. on ebay who buys cleaned coins and cracks them and photo shop's them so you can't see them.

Edited by NevadaS&G

@JKK and @Coinbuf thank you both for your responses. @JKKcan you please educate me on what "horse spoon" means? I've never heard that term. The main reasons that I questioned if it was the same coin are the gouge in her cheek and the word peace appear more prevalent in person and the luster of the coin appears different to me. With the coin in hand I can see the scratch that looks like an arrow pointing to the left between the L and I in Liberty, so with that and your feedback I see how it is the same coin. Please correct me if I'm using the wrong terms, but when the coin arrived it appeared dipped to me. Isn't a dipped coin when someone uses a chemical to artificially shine a coin? Does a dipped coin take away value? When I bought this coin I knew it had the scratches and fingerprints, but it appeared to have a natural luster to me so that's why I bought it. Is there a way to tell the difference between natural luster and a dipped coin in photos? 

The forum uses a profanity filter that replaces certain strings with odd and often amusing non-profane strings, such as insufficiently_thoughtful_person and *spoon*. Or at least the old forum did. The new one, not sure how it's configured, but I long ago just started typing *spoon* myself in those cases. Here, I was referring to the photos in question as the solid waste products of a horse. Does that make more sense now?