• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im a newbie ma'am sir...Can you help me find value of this coins pls?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Agreed, face. Not seeing anything particularly significant. Something may be up with the rim of the 1983 cent but it's not anything valuable and probably just post-mint damage

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Here we are again, crushing hopes and dreams.

Nah... Being honest in friendly, welcoming way. :) Hopefully he sticks around and stays interested.

2 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@kbbpll @Revenant Shame on you meanie. 

Yes, I am amazed at kind you all are being. Never like that when I was a Newbie. 

My attempts at humor are probably not welcome, mostly because they fail so often. I think it stems from the fact that I don't take coin collecting all that seriously, whereas a lot of others look to it for a source of income in all kinds of different ways, whether dealing in coins professionally, or from seeing YouTube videos and hoping they struck it rich, or any of the wide spectrum in between. @Regilyn, I hope you find the NGC price guide, figure out how grading works, etc. I would have probably hung onto the slightly misaligned 1983 for a while too (if that's what you noticed), and I apologize for my flippant response.

Welcome to the wonderful world of numismatics!

The first thing you should do is get a Red Book.

Second thing is do not worry about the value of coins you find in change. Rare coins are seldom found in circulation because they are RARE.

The next thing to do is get volume one of the Cherry Pickers Guide. I recommend buying a used copy on Amazon or ebay as it the new edition is rather pricey.

Then go to the bank to buy a $25 box of Cents. Get 100 or more Cent size 2X2 coin holders and a stapler.

Then get a magnifying glass or loupe.

Now go through the cents one by one look at each one under the glass. Keep the best looking coin of each date and mint mark.

In a year or so  (searching a box or two a week) you will build a nice collection of red/brown to red cents from 1959 to date. You may find a few minor varieties, some counter stamped coins a couple hundred wheat cents and an Indian cent or two.

But most valuable of all you will have gained much knowledge and understanding of what is valuable and what is nothing special and what you think is cool (that is the best of all).

ENJOY!!

4 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

Then go to the bank to buy a $25 box of Cents. Get 100 or more Cent size 2X2 coin holders and a stapler.

Then get a magnifying glass or loupe.

Now go through the cents one by one look at each one under the glass. Keep the best looking coin of each date and mint mark.

In a year or so  (searching a box or two a week) you will build a nice collection of red/brown to red cents from 1959 to date. You may find a few minor varieties, some counter stamped coins a couple hundred wheat cents and an Indian cent or two.

But most valuable of all you will have gained much knowledge and understanding of what is valuable and what is nothing special and what you think is cool (that is the best of all).

ENJOY!!

I did this back in the day and I recommend it for anyone with decent eye sight that doesn't mind getting black fingertips - but it's going to give you an album of red cents. It isn't going to give you a sense of what's valuable or not IMO. I'm assuming that comes the the cherry pickers guide but I can't imagine he'll find many or any of those in bank boxes.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, kbbpll said:

My attempts at humor are probably not welcome, mostly because they fail so often. I think it stems from the fact that I don't take coin collecting all that seriously, whereas a lot of others look to it for a source of income in all kinds of different ways, whether dealing in coins professionally, or from seeing YouTube videos and hoping they struck it rich, or any of the wide spectrum in between. @Regilyn, I hope you find the NGC price guide, figure out how grading works, etc. I would have probably hung onto the slightly misaligned 1983 for a while too (if that's what you noticed), and I apologize for my flippant response.

@kbbpll See my attempts are also unwelcome, kind Sir. I too say 'crushing the hopes and dreams... ' regularly. I'll tell you who has zero sense of humor. Lmbo! Aiy, nevermind. I've just been welcomed back so I am not going to tease anyone. 

@Moxie15 I think you offer great advice and I hope @Regilyn is taking the time to view these notifs full of great info and lots of personality, but I would skip the CherryPickers because I have opened mine less than 5x in 3 years. I would suggest having an inclination of what a person wants the hobby to provide them before spending the money on one and as for the Red Book I do not have one but most information it holds can be found online.  I would also add that many folks, when roll hunting as a newbie, find it to be valuable advice to sort then seek. Ie, sort your Cents by year first, if not also MM, that way you look at coins that should pretty much look the same one after the other so when something IS different it pops out at you.

Don't y'all start on me now, dagnabbit. I are what I are.