• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right place, right time

8 posts in this topic

The town I live in issued two of those flats back in 1936 to mark the cities Centennial, 5 cent denomination one red, one green.  I have one of them still hoping to find the other some day.  1936 makes them some of the earliest wooden flats.

Towns in the state of Washington printed -script on wood to serve as currency during the bank failures in the 1930’s.

Wooden money for community celebrations started in 1934 in Fenton Michigan

Fenton-1934-HH-34-2.jpg

[I am aware this is a dated thread.  What I would like to know is whether it is safe to assume these relics of a bygone era are worth more today (despite the expiration date on @PennyGuy's piece) or whether a market, however small for "woodies" has developed since then? The mention by the OP seems to suggest just that.  With all good wishes for a Merry Christmas!    🐓 

Yes there are collectors of wooden money, both the rounds and the flats.  There is an International Organization of Wooden Money Collectors, and a Canadian Association of Wooden Money Collectors. (I believe the IOWMC was originally the Society of Wooden Money Collectors two of the Presidents of that organization were members of one of my local coins clubs, the Louisville Coin Club.  

It isn't a market I'm involved with, but I know it exists.