• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this Ebay Morgan

12 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I'm looking to upgrade my 1895-s VG10 Morgan.  It's the only one in my collection that's not at least XF40.  I've been watching for quite a while.  This one below (I don't know why it won't 'link' ) was just listed on Ebay and I wanted to get some second opinions on this coin and any other thoughts you might have.  I'd rather have an AU (only my 92-S XF40 and 03-S XF45 are under AU)  but I don't want to spend a whole lot more than $1000, 1300 tops.  Seller counteroffered $925.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1895-S-Rare-date-Morgan-dollar-PCGS-AU53-white-luster-Free-Shipping/392745931155?hash=item5b717b5193:g:LJsAAOSwni1eg~zJ

OOPS.  not the AU53.  This is the XF45  :   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1895-S-MORGAN-DOLLAR-NGC-XF45-SILVER-1-US-COIN-LOT-5102/293527183920?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649

Thanks for your help!   Jim

Edited by Truly Clean

If you could get it for $935.00, then that would be a good deal I think. It is  a PCGS AU53 that he is asking $1595.00 for so I'm not quite sure what your questioning. If you really want it, then go for it.

NGC has the same coin valued at $2000.00, also there is a PCGS XF45 listed that the asking price is $1270.00. 

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

5 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

If you could get it for $935.00, then that would be a good deal I think. It is  a PCGS AU53 that he is asking $1595.00 for so I'm not quite sure what your questioning. If you really want it, then go for it.

NGC has the same coin valued at $2000.00, also there is a PCGS XF45 listed that the asking price is $1270.00. 

MY mistake, I originally included the AU53 link instead of XF45.  The XF45 is what was counteroffered at $925.  I edited my original post.  Thanks

The last 5 PCGS graded in this grade crossed the auction block (heritage in all five cases) at an average of $984 with the lowest being $900.  That gives you a good feel for where the market is so it just depends on what you think of the quality of this coin.

26 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

so it just depends on what you think of the quality of this coin.

It looks a little more "scraped up"  (idk the numismatic term) than I'd like, but I think it looks solid for the grade otherwise?

Coins are at the very core a personal choice biased on each persons individual likes and what is pleasing to the eye.  I buy coins that I like first and foremost, however I also keep in mind that someday I'll need to sell that coin so how will it be perceived by a future buyer.  For myself I would wait and gather some additional funds and find a better XF or AU that had a more gentile life during its time in circulation.  Cheap coins are seldom great and great coins are seldom cheap.

14 hours ago, Truly Clean said:

The seller accepted my offer of $850 so I bought it.  I suppose the market is softening as some were discussing on another chat board.  Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like a good deal but yeah I agree a little rough but that give it a nice character

I like it

17 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Sounds like a good deal but yeah I agree a little rough but that give it a nice character

I like it

On 4/2/2020 at 6:29 PM, Coinbuf said:

The last 5 PCGS graded in this grade crossed the auction block (heritage in all five cases) at an average of $984 with the lowest being $900.  That gives you a good feel for where the market is so it just depends on what you think of the quality of this coin.

Thanks.   Always hard for me to tell by pics.  I hope I'm happy with it when it arrives. No returns by seller was the only catch.  Now the last Morgan I need to complete the P, O, and S mints is the 93-S.  I'm probably going to collect the CC's before that one though.  All I have are have are 3 (easy ones) of the 13.

5 hours ago, Truly Clean said:

Thanks.   Always hard for me to tell by pics.  I hope I'm happy with it when it arrives. No returns by seller was the only catch.  Now the last Morgan I need to complete the P, O, and S mints is the 93-S.  I'm probably going to collect the CC's before that one though.  All I have are have are 3 (easy ones) of the 13.

If it looks worse in person than in the pictures you can still return it. Ebay protects the buyer not the seller

Contact seller first before doing the return processes because I think in this instance you would have to give him a "not a described" strike which is not good. 

He will most likely take the return to avoid this.

16 hours ago, jgrinz said:

If it looks worse in person than in the pictures you can still return it. Ebay protects the buyer not the seller

Contact seller first before doing the return processes because I think in this instance you would have to give him a "not a described" strike which is not good. 

He will most likely take the return to avoid this.

That's news to me.  GREAT to know!.  Thanks!