• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 1970s Lincoln cents
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I found two 1970s pennies one definitely look like it's a small because of the nine is curving towards the seven. It does look like a little Doubled if MD or not ;) so if someone could tell me,if it's a small or what ? Thank you in advance.as well I hope all is good

IMG_20200331_140833799.jpg

IMG_20200331_140856209.jpg

IMG_20200331_140658041.jpg

IMG_20200331_140725542.jpg

Edited by Jonescoins

The pictures are not very clear, but they both look like large dates to me. Notice how the "7" is lower than the "9" and the "0"? The loop of the "9" also appears to point toward the mint mark, rather than toward the "7".

Compare your coin with this picture of a Large Date cent:

1970s_ld_date.jpg

And, here is a Small Date cent:

1970s_sd_date.jpg

Edited by Just Bob
Photo from the Cent Project website

For every novice collector who is singing along in the background and trying to gain a better understanding of coin surfaces, both of JB's photos do an excellent job of showing the flow lines as they radiate like a zillion bicycle spokes. When we look at a coin that you think is uncirculated, and tell you that it is not, often what we saw was a pattern of eroded flow lines due to very light circulation. They are among the very first things to go, and we can see them even on weak strike coins like some Peace dollar issues where detail is missing on high points and the initial assumption is that it's circulation wear. You can learn good stuff from these photos.

thank u JB, I've never been able to judge the low 7, even with laying a paper edge across 9 to the 0, the curl in the nine, etc., nothing. What I needed to know was the loop of the nine pointing towards the 7 or the mint mark, plain and simple. Easy for my eyesight, big time saver, and know it for life now. A sincere thanks. Hope I didn't butt in on a thread, but just had to say, FINALLY, I get it.

Hello 😀 well I hope I took better pic, because as I said I really thought the nine was pointing at the 7 .now the  second 1970s is a large date.yet! The first 1970s look like it been struck over with a different 7 .. even the mint mark is out of place.maybe I'm just seeing to much I guess lolIMG_20200407_151323231.thumb.jpg.308ab8b5a347763f57283b1260e73485.jpg

IMG_20200407_151447555.jpg

IMG_20200407_151627670.jpg

Edited by Jonescoins

See, I always just jump to the LIBERTY, which says they are both a Large Dates and I can tell because the LIBERTY is clear and well struck.. 

Edited by KarenHolcomb
Cause I can't see.

Thank you.👍 I know it's not the best looking coin, from what diagnosis is telling me that it was a small date. Yet the appearance look like a large date.so I just keep at it.thanks guys

Jonesy,

i am leaning toward the one with the "high and tight" mintmark as a SD. I think the relative sharpness of LIBERTY may be due to digital sharpening. I agree the 9 has the type of shape we look for in SD examples, plus that high and tight mintmark is a "permissive" diagnostic. All SD's have high and tight mintmarks but not all high and tight mintmarks are SD's. I will repeat here my personal belief that there are not two, but THREE varieties of 1970-S cents. No, the numismatic community has not accepted that, but my aim is to someday "force" them to with highly detailed photomicrographs in a future ANA convention exhibit. I am only partially homebound now so it'll still probably need to wait for my actual retirement. I have over 500 BU Red 1970-S cents to work with, most of which have not even been checked for SD's.

Edited by VKurtB

That's good information Vkurt . because it is very hard to tell the difference from a few .to add to that is this 1970 d hard to tell yet it's a large date.look at the 9 curl to the 7

IMG_20200408_125553155.jpg

IMG_20200408_125709216.jpg