• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"New coins won't stack" - Does this sound familiar?

3 posts in this topic

Nearly every time a new design was released there were complains that the coins "won't stack properly." Here's one from 1892 and the new (if ugly) Barber silver coin designs.

18920121 P New halves do not stack well.jpg

The quarter was quickly redesigned in 1892 because of this. According to Bowers' "Barber Silver Coins", Barber wrote to Leech about the quarter changes, presumably around this time in 1892. I'm curious if you run onto such a letter. The quarter changes were noticed as early as 1899 in a Numismatist article (again, according to Bowers). Changes were made again in 1900 and Bowers notes that a stack of 21 of the new quarters was the same as 20 of the old. Curiously regarding this letter, the obverse hub of the half dollar did not change until 1901. Or perhaps a change has so far been undocumented. The dime and quarter also changed in 1900 and 1901, and as you know, I've been looking for a "smoking gun" as to why the dime reverse changed in 1900 and then again in 1901.

I don't find the Barber coins "ugly", but it's all a matter of opinion. Certainly not as stupid in hindsight as the IHC with a Caucasian "Indian princess" wearing a war bonnet.

I have letters regarding the quarter change, as well as explaining the mullets ("stars") with differing points.

I agree that adding a warrior chief's headdress to a Liberty figure is about as moronic (or oxymoronic) as one can get. TR insisted on it for the 1907 Eagle.

As for appearance, there's a letter where Dir Leech wants the Barber Liberty head to look more feminine and suggests narrowing the neck, but I don't think any change was made.