• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your seeing Double? Why yes you are! 1885p Morgan

11 posts in this topic

Always cool to have something extra like this on a coin. Now show us the whole coin (because we're bored...). PS - I'm having trouble seeing the MPD in the denticles but I trust it's there.

Nice extra, I too am not seeing the numbers in the denticles; and for what is worth I've always felt that some of the vam's look more like strike doubling than true doubling.

10 hours ago, RWB said:

Can the OP explain why the faint date is so much smaller than the strong date?

:)

I brought your question up to Messy Desk (John) over at VW

Why is the back ground numbers smaller than the Foreground

Thanks for the question as I did not know the answer ...

Edited by jgrinz

You got it!

:)

Remember - it took up to 8 squeezes of the hub into a soft steel die to make a complete, usable die. The slight offset necessary to create a doubled-image working die could occur at any point in this repetitive process. Further, working dies were impressed using a large screw press (until 1892), and there is always variation when human/animal energy is employed.

If the sides of letters, numbers and other design elements were not beveled, the coins would not release easily from the dies during manufacture. However, excess beveling, as on Peace dollars for example, creates a mushy, muddy-looking coin. (This, combined with excess curvature of the junction between relief and die table, is why modern commemorative and other coins are so "dull and lifeless.")

Edited by RWB

19 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Nice extra, I too am not seeing the numbers in the denticles; and for what is worth I've always felt that some of the vam's look more like strike doubling than true doubling.

19 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Always cool to have something extra like this on a coin. Now show us the whole coin (because we're bored...). PS - I'm having trouble seeing the MPD in the denticles but I trust it's there.

On My picture - its difficult because of the toning 

The 1 is below the 1 to the right and the 8 is directly below the first 8

If you follow the 5 left and see how denticles are supposed to look like 

you should be able to spot the difference when you get to below the 8 and the 1

You are looking in the crevasse, not the bumps :-)

Coin is for sale over in the MARKETPLACE if interested 

OR you can see the whole coin picture too  :-)

Take care hope everyone is staying healthy

Edited by jgrinz