• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Like to see a Denver Proof Set Someday

10 posts in this topic

Collectors,

How many of you would like to see the Denver Mint make a Proof set? I see West Point cranking W proofs on and off over the years. Why hasn't Denver come out with a proof set yet? What would it take to get them to make their first D mint marked proof set? I'm a Midwest collector and live just a few miles south of the ANA museum in Colorado Springs. I would love to see this happen!

Why? Isn't there enough shiny junk coming out of the Mint's Marketing Division without adding mirror-like coins with a "D" on them? Why not turn the whole thing over to Google's parent company, Alphabet, and do proofs with all the remaining letters, and maybe add special characters like: %, #, &, @, and the ever popular $$$$$ ! Then we can do more "privy marks," too.

Edited by RWB

Are there any "proof-like" coins out of Denver? I recall that there are S, CC and O with PL designations, but I can't think of a D.

There are absolutely PL coins from Denver. I own several. Recent Kennedy halves mostly. I even “shot one” (photographically) in Dealey Plaza in Dallas. Yes, I have a sick sense of humor.

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, Conder101 said:

Denver HAS made one proof coin.  They made 33,309 proof 1984 D $10 gold Olympic coins. Get that coin and you have a full set of proof Denver mint coins. happy wheels

Thank you so much! Now everything it's clear!

Edited by opalross

On 3/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, kbbpll said:

Are there any "proof-like" coins out of Denver? I recall that there are S, CC and O with PL designations, but I can't think of a D.

1921-D Morgans exist in PL, but they are quire scarce.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, Wiley C. M. said:

Collectors,

How many of you would like to see the Denver Mint make a Proof set? I see West Point cranking W proofs on and off over the years. Why hasn't Denver come out with a proof set yet? What would it take to get them to make their first D mint marked proof set? I'm a Midwest collector and live just a few miles south of the ANA museum in Colorado Springs. I would love to see this happen!

In the be careful what you wish for department, let's use this opportunity of the ASE reverse switchover to have all mints make ASEs of both reverses, and in bullion, "burnished", "enhanced", proof, and reverse proof finishes.  No colorized, holographic, privy marked stuff.  They can scatter them over the course of the year to hide the fact that there would be 40, count 'em, 40 different ASEs made.  Heaven help TPG label collectors that may have to buy hundreds of 2021 ASEs.  My Dansco, in which I keep bullion ASEs, only holds 36 -- 1986-2021.  Bottom line is that a ballooning product catalog isn't really all that good for the hobby.