• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do coin shows help drive on-line conversations?

14 posts in this topic

The only coin chat rooms that I am a part of is here and ATS, things have slowed down over there a little bit but that is mostly due to the heavy handed way the forum is moderated.  I really haven't noticed a significant falloff in posts here but then I don't track those types of things either.  To answer your question I'm sure that shows; or in this case the lack thereof; does add to the volume of chatter and posts from the members of coin chat rooms.

14 hours ago, RWB said:

For the past several days this, and other message boards, have been competing with "door nails" for maximum deadness.

Thoughts?

This message board has been dead for years. 

Others, such as CoinTalk, have actually had more posts because more people are at home with nothing else to do. 

You are going to get the obvious posts relating to coins shows: "Who is going to the (fill in the blank) show? or "Here is my new pickup from the latest show." And, then there are the Penny Lady's threads with lots of pictures, which are apparently created for ATS, but are also posted over here. So, yes, these threads and posts are coin show driven.

However, since I came back to this forum about two years ago, the number of older posters has dropped off substantially. (it is nice to see some of the old timers drop back in occasionally, though) And if you compare things to when I joined in 2009, it really lives up to its "Sleepy Hollow" nickname. I sometimes go back and read old threads, and am amazed at the number of posters who responded.

So, why is there less traffic now?I think some posters are turned off by the lack of informative posts here, and the prevalence of "Is this a valuable error/variety?" type posts, which seem to be the result of numerous Youtube videos and other sources of misinformation about what makes a coin valuable. Others are still holding a grudge against NGC for changing its policy on accepting PCGS coins in the registry, and, evidently, feel that not participating in the forum somehow "punishes" the company for its mistake. (I haven't figured that one out, yet. Why take out your frustrations with the company on the members of this forum? None of us had any say-so in that decision.) And some may have had issues with the format change a few years back, and decided to try a different forum. And, I am sure there are lots of other reasons, as well.

Although I do browse other forums, this is the only one on which I post. Unless I get lots more time on my hands, it will probably stay that way.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.

I used to post here regularly, but that major layout switch years ago made the site much more difficult to use and to look at.

Roger, I echo what Physics said:  other sites seem pretty active, and the layout of CoinTalk (CT) is probably the best of all the sites that I have hit and continue to look at and post on.

As for coin shows....it stands to reason that when you attend a show, there's lots to talk about.  Over at CT, we have a few threads that update on local and/or regional shows.  This past year I attended my 1st FUN Conference and that had a few threads of information, including one by me that talked about my experiences and tracking down my 1923-D Saint that I've wanted for a few years (Mission Accomplished !).  CT also reserved a room at FUN/OCCC and a bunch of us met up and hung out....it was nice to see the faces behind the posts....several of us also met after-hours.....I think next year the goal is to do that even more especially if we can all book at the same hotel so we can hang out easily at the bar, dinner, etc. (this year I was at a different hotel from most of the guys).

Of course, right now, there are NO shows around so it's strictly online blatherings.  Hence this post. xD

It sounds like contemporary show reports will read something like this --

"Went to the new Happy Valley coin show on Saturday morning. (For those not familiar with the area, Happy Valley is just a "stone's throw" or maybe a "stone's roll" down from the town of Happy Hilltop, just off Interstate 1066, at the Hastings exit.)

"Admission was very easy and security was not intrusive but there were lots of cameras. The concrete floor was reasonably clean although there was a pile of something behind a blue screen in on corner do the room. There was lots of aisle space and I never felt crowded or was bumped by others. Although there was lots of room, I really did not find anything I could use in my collection - well, except for a nice ballpoint pen. Attendance seemed sparse, but maybe I was there too early. Anyway, I'll probably try to attend the next Happy Valley coin show - I've heard they will offer free margaritas to the first 25 visitors."

Edited by RWB

Speaking of security, RWB, one of the best small regular shows is the Garden State Show held on the 1st Sunday of each month in Parsippany, NJ.  A while back they caught a guy who stole from one of the dealers...forgot the details, but I believe he would look at a bunch of coins sitting down and then "drop" one in his waist or something.  They set up cameras at the next show and caught him doing it again (not sure if it was the same dealer).

3 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Speaking of security, RWB, one of the best small regular shows is the Garden State Show held on the 1st Sunday of each month in Parsippany, NJ.  A while back they caught a guy who stole from one of the dealers...forgot the details, but I believe he would look at a bunch of coins sitting down and then "drop" one in his waist or something.  They set up cameras at the next show and caught him doing it again (not sure if it was the same dealer).

He should have been put in stocks right by the entrance, for the rest of the show, so that every dealer and customer would see his face.

Edited by Just Bob

15 hours ago, RWB said:

Hmmmm....maybe he was wearing special underwear?

Apparently filing charges is problematic:  you (the dealer) might have to return to a place not near where you live to testify....the coins might be seized as evidence...perp might only get a slap on the wrist, etc.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Back To Shows.... I believe the Central States Coin Show was cancelled (the auctions are now only online) and it'll be interesting to see who else gets cancelled.  I didn't know that many of the Big Shows have 2nd shows about 6 months apart with the second one usually smaller and on fewer days (i.e. FUN's July show).  Many (most ?) of the really big shows are October - February so they just missed The Virus.  Long Beach might be the last big one for a while.  I guess ANA's big one is mid-year and still in trouble.

My LCS is still shut down.