• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Medals Pricing: Manila First Legislative Assembly bronze Medal 1907, 38mm, Honeycutt-78, Basso-741

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if I can get values on these 2 medals:

Manila First Legislative Assembly bronze Medal 1907, 38mm, Honeycutt-78, Basso-741

I see the bronze version sold for about $450 with HA.com. I was wondering what the other version value would be. I am unsure of the metal.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/philippines/philippines-manila-first-legislative-assembly-bronze-medal-1907-unc-polished-/a/241449-61034.s

Thanks,

Aaron

2019-04-08_00036-horz.jpg

2019-04-08_00039-horz.jpg

• Administrator

Hi @aaronmgd 

Our NGC Price Guides currently do not contain tokens or medals. You are doing the right thing by checking auction results and I would recommend posting this on the "US, World, and Ancient Coins" forum. There are a lot of numismatist on there that would gladly give you an opinion or further information. 

On 3/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Just Bob said:

NGC has certified one example in silvered bronze, but I did not find an auction listing.

Thanks - is there any way for me to see what the realized auction price was? 

On the NGC Page https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=632998

it states "Purchased RAW from Cookie Jar Collectibles in Philippine Mail Bid Sale XXII, Lot #994 (March 31, 2019"

I am curious to find out what the sale price was.

Thanks,

Aaron

You could either ask the NGC member JAA, whose medal you linked above, or you can contact Cookie Jar Collectibles at:

Ray Czahor
Cookie Jar Collectibles
Box 597
Columbia, MD 21045
Telephone: 301-604-9225
Email: cookiejarpi@verizon.net

After a bit more looking, you may have trouble contacting Mr. Czahor. The website is not working, and the trade status of the business is listed as "Forfeited." He may have passed away, or at least ceased doing business.

Edited by Just Bob

48 minutes ago, aaronmgd said:

Ok, thanks for the info and update. I will try my luck. Do you know how I can contact JAA?

Aaron

Click the envelope at the top right of your screen (on your phone, touch the three horizontal bars, then the envelope), click "Compose new," enter JAA in the "TO" box, and select his name from the list (there is also a member named Jaa88). I have no idea if he is active on the site, but it is the only way I know to contact a member, unless he has his email listed on his information page.

Hi Aaron,

This was a pleasant surprise to find a Philippine medal listed in my book on NGC. Philippine medals and tokens have become more well known and popular for collectors since I published my first book in 2014. Having studied Philippine medals for the last 20 years I can tell you pricing is not an exact science. I have seen nice Philippine medals sell for $500 on Ebay and then a month later I find the same one that sold for $175. In my book I try to list the most current sales price BUT too few of the medals sell in a forum that can be tracked or no examples have recently come to market. My point, and I apologize because most of us know this, is that what an item sold for in the past does not always set a firm floor under the price.

In my personal collection I own the silvered version in NGC MS 66 and the bronze in NGC MS 64. Given the medals are graded by NGC I believe they would sell for significantly higher prices than a raw medal. I believe I paid $165 for the silvered and about $300 for the bronze about 3-4 years ago. That said, the demand for and prices realized have grown significantly in the past several years.

My best guess for value is $400-450 for the bronze and $550 for the silvered in raw medals. Sorry I cannot be more precise but this will depend upon where you sell and who is in the market when your medal(s) come to market.

Feel free to ask questions. Thank you for your interest in Philippine medals.

Earl Honeycutt ehoneycutt@elon.edu459871232_H-78SilverandBronze.thumb.jpeg.c6ae63866d9e0cbfe19bebad630b80e8.jpeg

Well, you got an answer from the author of one of the reference books on your medals. How cool is that?

Nice to see you posting, Mr. Honeycutt.