• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NARA Research Suspended

7 posts in this topic

Several members are using NNP's recently posted research materials for projects. As of today NARA has closed all research rooms and facilities until further notice. I have E-229 Boxes 123 and 124 to process and post. Nicole in Philadelphia has at least one E-1 box to process.

I do not expect to regain access until after April 1.

It's a smart move. Our kids' spring break was just extended to 2 weeks. I think it should be another week. All those kids returning from wherever they go, to the petri dishes that are our schools.

On the NNP side of things, do you have an inventory of what is left to scan? I find the late December and early January stuff for each year to be most useful to me, as they contain the records of die shipments for the new year (late December), and records of dies returned, destroyed and retained from the previous year (early January).

RE: Inventory to scan.

Yes. There is no-end to that!  :)  E-229 Box 124 ends in the first week of October 1900, so there are five more boxes to go before the end of 1900.  The January 1901 box has already been scanned, but I plan to scan the next box also to capture late-arriving reports, etc.

By inventory, I meant a list of all the boxes and the time periods they cover, regardless of whether they've been scanned or are waiting to be scanned. Sort of a master list. Of course, I don't know how this stuff is physically organized or cataloged, so you may not know what the time period is until you open them. I'm just wondering what could be anticipated in the future as you work your way through them. FYI I already have some die info for 1899, 1900 and 1901 from Box 131, 106, 107, etc. It's interesting how it's scattered among the different boxes, and I've yet to piece together the different bits. As you know, I'm trying to decipher where all the Barber dime transition varieties came from, mostly for fun I guess.

The only thing close to an inventory at NARA is a date range for the series. For example E-229 covers 1873-1932 approx. Here's my own description of this series:

"Entry 229

"Correspondence 1873-1932. Letters Received by the Bureau of the Mint, Washington DC. There are three separate series within this entry. They are not distinguished from one another in any way except for box number range, and these overlap. 385 letter box containers. No index, no finding aid, limited descriptions – often incorrect."

Over years of searching materials, Ive built up a 45 page index, so I know the approximate date range and content for each of the 385 boxes. As boxes are photographed, I update my personal index. Here's part of a sample page for E-229 subseries "X of 18."

Box Number.jpg

Edited by RWB

All schools here in Virginia are closed till at least March 27th.

Good Stuff Roger!

Edited by leeg

Everything I have digitized recently has been posted to NNP and all are available for free.

Digital files from Philadelphia are backlogged in processing and new postings will continue for at least a week, possibly longer. These are all in Entry-1 "General Correspondence."