• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error or wear Jefferson Nickel

13 posts in this topic

The line around the diameter is odd - it looks really deliberate. Weight and diameter are going to be really helpful here. Is it possible we're looking at someone's really aggressive polishing experiment that then went back into circulation?

I'm leaning towards a dryer coin as well. As B.C stated, just place it over a regular nickel and see if the diameter is smaller.

Whatever happened though, it is not an error but some sort of PMD.

I call Bull$8!t on the drier theory. 

In a former job I tore down appliances on a daily basis, including hundreds of driers. I found thousands of coins in driers and never, not once, did I find one that looked anything like what people on this and every other coin forum I have been on call 'drier coins'.

That coin has lead a very rough life and may have spent some of it in a drier, but I doubt that is what caused the majority of the damage seen on this coin.

2 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

I call Bull$8!t on the drier theory. 

In a former job I tore down appliances on a daily basis, including hundreds of driers. I found thousands of coins in driers and never, not once, did I find one that looked anything like what people on this and every other coin forum I have been on call 'drier coins'.

What did the coins you found look like? And, were they commercial dryers, with inner and outer drums?

Bob you are correct however because I believe you could call home Depot and buy a "commercial dryer" and I've seen residential models with a coin op  called commercial I use the term industrial dryer 

7 hours ago, Callinectes said:

Thanks, That is probably right, the dryer theory has merit, It weighs 4.776 grams, I will check the diameter with calipers later today

Errrm, that's actually quite a bit of metal to lose - I'm going to double-down on heavily polished for some reason. I'll bet the diameter is within tolerance.

Here is a Photo of a known Dryer Coin to show the extent of damage that can happen if left in the dryer for an extended time.

Dryer coin.jpg

Here is another one with similar markings as the OP coin.

639091576_DryerCoin2.jpg.eeb2570e8124f7e64b467529042e67b5.jpg

Edited by Greenstang