• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to learn...

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to learn, both in terms of value and simply what other people's preferences are, how these two coins compare.  Both are 3rd party graded by NGC and PCGS (I'll reveal later).  Thank you for your feedback, Jim

coin1o.thumb.jpg.1de6130ccdfe3ab772bc09aaa475ccc1.jpgcoin1r.thumb.jpg.b43506a98af436ebc9fe8f7fe6ab09c8.jpgcoin2o.jpg.f7282e60fb44a68b195c484292a16f50.jpgcoin2r.jpg.a77ca4892d2159f93be3245a11356df6.jpg

I'm going to call them both MS61.

It may just be the photos, but the marks on the NGC coin seem less distracting, and the eagle's breast on the PCGS coin looks to have a bit of friction. I prefer the NGC coin according to the pics, but in hand, that opinion might change.

Thanks Bob and Moxie.  They are both AU58 which I was surprised.  I think the PCGS definitely has substantially more marks.  I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing due to my lack of experience. If anything I thought PCGS was slightly more conservative than NGC?  In this case (with the marks) it doesn't seem subjective imo.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, Truly Clean said:

Do you think the coloration is due to the lighting?

Quite possible. The white balance setting on the camera / picture may be slightly off too... And the coin might be a little yellow.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, Truly Clean said:

Thanks Bob and Moxie.  They are both AU58 which I was surprised.  I think the PCGS definitely has substantially more marks.  I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing due to my lack of experience. If anything I thought PCGS was slightly more conservative than NGC?  In this case (with the marks) it doesn't seem subjective imo.

AU58 just means it has slight wear on the high points so it's no longer MS. The number of bag marks gets a lot less important when you're not talking about MS grades. In circulated grades it's more about the level of wear and how much detail survives.

11 minutes ago, Revenant said:

AU58 just means it has slight wear on the high points so it's no longer MS. The number of bag marks gets a lot less important when you're not talking about MS grades. In circulated grades it's more about the level of wear and how much detail survives.

Thank you Rev, very helpul