• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Capabilties of the phone in your pocket - 1885p PL

26 posts in this topic

Funny story - I got to like this phone so much I will not upgrade it. 

I broke my last one and found a NOS (new old stock) phone to replace it with ( you know the teach the dog new tricks thing ) 

Its an old LG G4

Old One 4.jpg.9babdda351fa6bea64f39ce86971a39d.jpg

49 minutes ago, RWB said:

Nice pic. Can you make a telephone call on it, too?

:)

Yeah I can txt too hahaha its not like its a flip phone  heheh

It is in full manual mode for pictures though.

I had an LG G4 for a while too! I liked it. When it died I replaced it with a G6 about 2 years ago. At the time the G6 was still considered an old model and they'd just slashed the price to make it more appealing against the latest Galaxy. The auto camera on the G6 leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

I wouldn't mind upping to a G8 or G9 eventually but the prices for the new ones are silly.

30 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I had an LG G4 for a while too! I liked it. When it died I replaced it with a G6 about 2 years ago. At the time the G6 was still considered an old model and they'd just slashed the price to make it more appealing against the latest Galaxy. The auto camera on the G6 leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

I wouldn't mind upping to a G8 or G9 eventually but the prices for the new ones are silly.

I traded on my G9 for a G10+. Never had problems with my G9 but this 10+ is a piece of . Always having issues with it. 

2 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Funny story - I got to like this phone so much I will not upgrade it. 

I broke my last one and found a NOS (new old stock) phone to replace it with ( you know the teach the dog new tricks thing ) 

Its an old LG G4

Old One 4.jpg.9babdda351fa6bea64f39ce86971a39d.jpg

Yeah I can txt too hahaha its not like its a flip phone  heheh

It is in full manual mode for pictures though.

No...I mean can you make a call on the 1885 dollar? Telephones were just getting started then, and most were steam powered - or so the Internet tells me....  :)

1 hour ago, RWB said:

No...I mean can you make a call on the 1885 dollar? Telephones were just getting started then, and most were steam powered - or so the Internet tells me....  :)

ahuh I get it  :-)

42 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Very nice pic, what did you use for lighting @jgrinz.

Two OTTS 

5800 white balance on camera 

23 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

Two OTTS 

5800 white balance on camera 

And here I just put my coins on the window sill and wait for a cloud.

3 hours ago, Jade Collection said:

wow wonderful phone pic, looks really nice!!

Thank you sir - PL are inherently tough to picture

12 hours ago, World Colonial said:

I wish I could find a way to take equivalent pictures with my phone.  That's really good.

You have to take it off automatic and use it manually. A Little  camera experience helps in this area with white balance exposure settings and F settings.

The main thing is focus ... 

jgrinz :  Great tip !!  Now I'm mad at Apple. My iPhone 11 pro was not cheap, but apparently you have to install a 3rd party app to be able to use ANY manual settings.  I'm no tech person.  If you or anyone can offer help, I'm all ears.  I read this post this morning, but I JUST received in the mail from a dealer an 1894-S Morgan MS63+ that has a PL obv .  I'm surprised no * star designation and I'd really like to share a good pic like yours jgrinz .

7 hours ago, jgrinz said:

You have to take it off automatic and use it manually. A Little  camera experience helps in this area with white balance exposure settings and F settings.

The main thing is focus ... 

Unfortunately not every smart phone has a manual setting, my Samsung doesn't have a way to do that under any of the camera settings options. 

17 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Unfortunately not every smart phone has a manual setting, my Samsung doesn't have a way to do that under any of the camera settings options. 

Samsung its called pro setting - At least on the S10

13 hours ago, Truly Clean said:

jgrinz :  Great tip !!  Now I'm mad at Apple. My iPhone 11 pro was not cheap, but apparently you have to install a 3rd party app to be able to use ANY manual settings.  I'm no tech person.  If you or anyone can offer help, I'm all ears.  I read this post this morning, but I JUST received in the mail from a dealer an 1894-S Morgan MS63+ that has a PL obv .  I'm surprised no * star designation and I'd really like to share a good pic like yours jgrinz .

Try Halide. I like it; still doesn't take older iPhones (6) to where @jgrinz is but it's a lot better than leaving it on auto. It is supposed to be way better with 11.

Edited by Kirt

I use my phone mostly when in Florida, Louisiana, etc. It is great for squishing roaches and other insects that try to sleep in my room, or grab a meal at my restaurant table. (Just be aware that capers do not wiggle, and ground pepper does not fly....)

On 3/8/2020 at 3:58 PM, RWB said:

I use my phone mostly when in Florida, Louisiana, etc. It is great for squishing roaches and other insects that try to sleep in my room, or grab a meal at my restaurant table. (Just be aware that capers do not wiggle, and ground pepper does not fly....)

That's funny right there ay-yup