• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 unmarked quarter , 1964 black nickle, 1943 unmarked penny

11 posts in this topic

All are face value coins with no collector value to speak of.

I'm curious where the "unmarked" idea is coming from. There seem to be a lot of posters lately who appear to think that coins without mint marks are valuable. Is it YouTube? Instagram? @Rae1993, no offense intended. Just wondering.

I just look it up it does say they are usually minted in Philadelphia ...   I dont believe it makes them more valuable. I was just wondering in general if any of them could be worth anything more than face value 

Common circulated wheat cents can be purchased by the bag for two to four cents a piece, and the other two are worth face value. Seems unlikely that a 50 year old coin would still be worth only face value, but it is true, especially with the quarters from 1965, 66, and 67. They were minted in large numbers (well over a billion in '65 and '67), and can still be found readily in circulation.

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I'm curious where the "unmarked" idea is coming from. There seem to be a lot of posters lately who appear to think that coins without mint marks are valuable. Is it YouTube? Instagram? @Rae1993, no offense intended. Just wondering.

I'd say that when people are very new to collecting, and were not around when lack of a MM meant the U.S. Mint in Philly (rather than a branch mint somewhere else), this is one of their first questions. It only seems like a strange one to older collectors like myself because we grew up with MM-less coins and it's very hard to imagine growing up in a different time without our prior experiences.

I am glad when my fellow veterans treat the question with understanding and education, because while it may be one of the very first things the new folks learn, for each there must come a moment when s/he learns it. For some, it will be from us right here. The future of our hobby depends upon them having good early experiences and we can help.