• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Offers Most Prizes Ever for 2020 NGC Registry Awards****
3 3

68 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ray, USMC said:

I would like to inquire about an issue that could also create a cheater winning. Since you can acquire a certification number (just say from an ebay sale post) and go to verify the coin and hit I own this coin and add it to your set and remove it after you win. There is no verification of winning sets being what you have entered as owned. Just saying a cheater is a cheater and will always find a way to beat the system. Rules only keep honest people honest, crooks and cheaters don't care.

I couldn't guess how widespread, but I'm sure that could happen.  Over the past 3 years I've submitted raw and sold the coins as certified later.  Generally I add each to my "Own the Coin" section after grading is completed so I can release it to the new owner once it's sold.  Of all the coins sold, I've only gotten the automated request to transfer a coin to the new owner a few times.  That alone implies there's far more collectors not using the registry than are. 

Even had a guy contact me 8 months after a sale asking if I still had the original photos because the coin was stolen.  I sent those to him and told him to create a registry profile so I could even transfer the coin to him.  That way if a transfer request came through in the future he'd be able to track down where his stolen coin was.  But he didn't and it's still showing in my competitive coins, though not in any sets.

3 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I couldn't guess how widespread, but I'm sure that could happen.  Over the past 3 years I've submitted raw and sold the coins as certified later.  Generally I add each to my "Own the Coin" section after grading is completed so I can release it to the new owner once it's sold.  Of all the coins sold, I've only gotten the automated request to transfer a coin to the new owner a few times.  That alone implies there's far more collectors not using the registry than are. 

Even had a guy contact me 8 months after a sale asking if I still had the original photos because the coin was stolen.  I sent those to him and told him to create a registry profile so I could even transfer the coin to him.  That way if a transfer request came through in the future he'd be able to track down where his stolen coin was.  But he didn't and it's still showing in my competitive coins, though not in any sets.

I think this issue is less a problem with NGC coins and more an issue with PCGS graded coins.  NGC can verify if another NGC member has the coin that is being added, but they have no way to know who really owns a PCGS graded coin, I could pull any PCGS graded coin out of any inventory, auction, or even another registry and claim it as my own.  As long as it verifies on the PCGS verification page and nobody has it in a se here its good to go regardless of who owns the coin.  I suspect this happens rather often.

Thanks!  I had forgotten about the older version of the registry!  Funny to look at how certain sets of mine are heavy NGC and others are PCGS weighted!

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I suspect this happens rather often.

I don't know... Call me naive, but barring evidence of widespread fraud I'd rather just keep my last shred of faith in people and assume that this is rare.

Edited by Revenant

Agree with the NGC only for awards, which affects me not at all in terms of awards given or things my sets are competitive with.  I didn't add my first registry set until after the PCGS option was removed from the world sets, and anything US I have (I don't keep track) is very, very far off the top tier set.  Because PCGS coins are not allowed to compete in my 'good sets' I like to think I have an unbiased opinion (xD). 

That said, I have learned to appreciate some of the differences in grading between the two (at least for the coins I see, and sometimes I'll cross/try to cross things just to see what happens).  There are some differences so IMO PCGS registry should award PCGS coin sets, and the NGC registry should award NGC coin sets. 

It's lovely to have a place where a mixed set can be shown off though, and makes me wonder whatever happened to that photo hosting site Stacks bought--it was great for showing things off but I can't even remember the name anymore.  Also, not sure what the status is of the ANA project--hopefully it will expand to world coins too someday.  Maybe it's time to look them over seeing as I just got my annual request for dues.  

• Administrator
On 2/27/2021 at 1:11 AM, Artlicious said:

I'm new here, and I have not registered one coin yet.. but I'm excited for next year!! :) 

This is such a cool thing to do! :)  I can't wait to get some coins registered and try to complete a set! 

Welcome, Artlicious! Let us know if you need assistance. We are happy to help!

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/forum/51-ngc-registry-help-and-instructions/

• Administrator
On 3/7/2021 at 11:36 AM, ChrisInJesup said:

Ali,

When are the plaques for the winners being sent out? I sent my mailing address to the email I received and haven't heard back since. I believe that was back in January.

Hi, Chris.

The plaques are supposed to ship out in the next 2 weeks. Thank you.

Hello,

Does anyone know anything more about:

"This year, major NGC Registry award winners will also receive an NGC-certified coin with a special label and pedigree worth approximately $100."?

I have not heard anything yet

• Administrator
2 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

Hello,

"This year, major NGC Registry award winners will also receive an NGC-certified coin with a special label and pedigree worth approximately $100."?

Hello, BlakeEik.

The coins will be sent out with the plaques over the next month. Thank you.

10 hours ago, Ali E. said:

The coins will be sent out with the plaques over the next month. Thank you.

Thanks Ali... Any hints what it may be?  Or is it meant to be a surprise?

On 3/11/2021 at 10:54 PM, ChrisInJesup said:

Thanks Ali. I was just worried that they were sent out and someone swiped mine. 

For what it's worth, I work with a group that has to order several plaques every year and it usually takes about a month after we make the order before we get the plaques. Then we have to make arrangements/ get them sent.out or distributed. We wait a month to get like 5-7 plaques. I can only imagine what kind of wait time NGC and PMG get when they're hitting some (likely, small, local, business with a combined order for about 60 plaques. Given this, I find their turnaround with the plaques to be surprisingly fast most years - jaw dropping fast some years.

If you read my journals on the PMG side I already have my Best Present from them - it arrived before March 1st. The fastest I've ever gotten a plaque from them.

But, as I said there, I'm sure the addition of the coins is adding another layer of complexity on to this in addition to just having more than ever to send.

Edited by Revenant

On 3/11/2021 at 5:46 AM, BlakeEik said:

Hello,

My guess - based on nothing but the value- is something like a 1-2 oz Silver 2020 NCLT. I'm excited to know for sure too though. :D

59 minutes ago, ChrisInJesup said:

Just got my Plaque and coin. Thanks NGC!! :) 

What did you get for a coin?

1 hour ago, ChrisInJesup said:

Just got my Plaque and coin. Thanks NGC!! :) 

Fingers crossed that mine will be here soon. I got the certificates over the weekend.