• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Offers Most Prizes Ever for 2020 NGC Registry Awards****
3 3

68 posts in this topic

• Administrator

******Please note! Private sets will not be considered for any award type. If an owner of a private set wishes to compete for awards and have the rank of their set displayed, they must have changed their set from private to public by July 1, 2020.

NGC Announces Most Prizes Ever for 2020 NGC Registry Awards

Posted on 2/27/2020

In 2020, the NGC Registry will award more than $25,000 in prizes — a 25% increase over last year! Ensure your set is at its best by 10 a.m. EST on December 4, 2020.

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) has announced that it will give more than $25,000 in prizes in the 2020 NGC Registry awards — a record amount for the world's most popular coin collecting platform.

20-CCGPA-1256_364_RegistryAwardsImage_v1

The NGC Registry is a free online platform where collectors register and display their certified coins and compete against other collectors around the world for recognition and prizes. This popular resource now boasts nearly 17,000 users, 150,000 registered sets and 1.2 million registered coins.

Winners of major NGC Registry awards will receive a personalized plaque, an icon of recognition next to their NGC Registry set and a $500 NGC grading credit! This year, major NGC Registry award winners will also receive an NGC-certified coin with a special label and pedigree worth approximately $100.

Winners will be announced January 8, 2021, at an event during the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) Show.

The NGC Registry awards are open to all NGC Registry participants. To participate in the NGC Registry, visit NGCcoin.com/Registry, register your certified coins and create a competitive set. It’s free and easy to join.

This year, winners will be selected in the following major award categories:

Overall Achievement Awards

Three US coin collectors and three world coin collectors will be awarded for Overall Achievement in NGC Registry set collecting. The Overall Achievement award is the NGC Registry's highest honor, given to select collectors based on their total point score, coins, set presentation and activity.

Competitive Set Awards

• Best Classic Set
    • 5 US Sets, 1792-1964
    • 5 World Sets, 1792-1964
  • Best Modern Set
    • 5 US Sets, 1955-Date (including Jefferson Nickels and Roosevelt Dimes)
    • 5 World Sets, 1955-Date
  • Best Presented Set
    • Sets with the best descriptive text and coin images
    • 3 US Sets
    • 3 World Sets
  • Best New Set
    • Sets created since January 1 of the current year
    • 3 US Sets
    • 3 World Sets

Custom Set Awards

• Best US Custom Set
  • Best World Custom Set
  • Best Ancient Custom Set
  • Best Tokens and Medals Set
  • Most Creative Custom Set
  • Most Informative Custom Set

Important Notes:

• The deadline to update your NGC Registry sets before they are considered for awards is 10 a.m. EST on December 4, 2020.
  • Private sets will not be considered for any award type. If an owner of a private set wishes to compete for awards and have the rank of their set displayed, they must change their set from private to public by July 1, 2020.

In addition to the major awards, the NGC Registry honors the #1 set in each category with an icon of recognition next to the set. Winners will also have an option to print a certificate of achievement through their My Account page. If they would prefer to receive a printed certificate by mail, they can request them in My Account after the winners are announced in January.

To join the free NGC Registry or update your NGC Registry sets, visit NGCcoin.com/Registry.

Winners will be announced on January 8, 2021.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Pegas0 said:

Hi Alli!

I should be good to go to compete this year with my registry sets right?

Hello, Pegas0.

As long as you did not have any sets private (or marked as "obscured") as of July 1, 2020, then your sets will be in consideration for awards, yes. :grin:

• Administrator
On 8/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, Kurisu said:

How do I check to see if I qualify to participate?

I'm fairly new to the registry... Thank you!

Hello and welcome, Kurisu!

Any sets that were not marked private or obscured as of July 1, 2020 are automatically under consideration for awards purposes. Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

Can sets comprised mostly of PCGS graded coins compete for the Best Presented Set Category?

Hello and thanks for the interest. Sets with PCGS coins are considered for major awards, yes.

4 hours ago, Ali E. said:

Hello and thanks for the interest. Sets with PCGS coins are considered for major awards, yes.

I don't think my initial question was clear enough.  NGC requires that in order for a set to qualify for a major award category, the set needs to be comprised of at least 75% NGC graded coins.  My question is related specifically to the Best Presented Set category.  Since the Best Presented Set is based upon the photos and descriptions provided by the registry participant, why should it matter if the coins are in NGC or PCGS plastic?

FYI, I took the following quote from the NGC Registry Award page:  "At least 75% of the coins registered to a set must be NGC-certified for the set to be eligible for the Major Awards listed above."

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, lehigh96 said:

I don't think my initial question was clear enough.  NGC requires that in order for a set to qualify for a major award category, the set needs to be comprised of at least 75% NGC graded coins.  My question is related specifically to the Best Presented Set category.  Since the Best Presented Set is based upon the photos and descriptions provided by the registry participant, why should it matter if the coins are in NGC or PCGS plastic?

FYI, I took the following quote from the NGC Registry Award page:  "At least 75% of the coins registered to a set must be NGC-certified for the set to be eligible for the Major Awards listed above."

Hello, lehigh96.

Our apologies for any confusion. For further information about major awards, please click here: https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/awards/. Sets with a high percentage of PCGS coins are considered for best in category for all US sets. For major awards, which include monetary awards, we do want to recognize those collectors who reflect their commitment to NGC. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, lehigh96.

Our apologies for any confusion. For further information about major awards, please click here: https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/awards/. Sets with a high percentage of PCGS coins are considered for best in category for all US sets. For major awards, which include monetary awards, we do want to recognize those collectors who reflect their commitment to NGC. Thank you.

Ali, I know what the website says, which is why I asked the question.  And since you brought it up, I am a two time winner of the "Best Presented Set" Award, where is my money?  I didn't get a monetary award either time I won that award, so either the Best Presented Set doesn't include a monetary award, or you guys just don't like me.  At this point I would like to change my question, here it goes.

Since the Best Presented Set award doesn't include a monetary award, why is there a 75% requirement that coins be in NGC plastic?

• Administrator
17 hours ago, lehigh96 said:

Ali, I know what the website says, which is why I asked the question.  And since you brought it up, I am a two time winner of the "Best Presented Set" Award, where is my money?  I didn't get a monetary award either time I won that award, so either the Best Presented Set doesn't include a monetary award, or you guys just don't like me.  At this point I would like to change my question, here it goes.

Since the Best Presented Set award doesn't include a monetary award, why is there a 75% requirement that coins be in NGC plastic?

Hello, lehigh96.

Prizes have evolved over the years and didn't include any kind of financial award until recently. We just checked with accounting on your account. You received a $500 credit on your account on 1/29/2019 for your 2018 NGC Registry Best Presented award. If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Edited by Ali E.

Question for moderator:

I assume this means that new sets created after July 1 are not eligible, correct?

****Please note! Private sets will not be considered for any award type. If an owner of a private set wishes to compete for awards and have the rank of their set displayed, they must have changed their set from private to public by July 1, 2020.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, BlakeEik said:

Question for moderator:

I assume this means that new sets created after July 1 are not eligible, correct?

****Please note! Private sets will not be considered for any award type. If an owner of a private set wishes to compete for awards and have the rank of their set displayed, they must have changed their set from private to public by July 1, 2020.

Hello, Blake.

No. Any existing set that is changed from private to public after July 1 is not eligible. Thank you.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:27 AM, BlakeEik said:

Question for moderator:

I think you could make a new set up to Dec 3rd or 4th (before the cutoff time) and still win. There's one case I know of where someone threw a set together a week before the cut-off and won.

3 hours ago, Revenant said:

I think you could make a new set up to Dec 3rd or 4th (before the cutoff time) and still win

What I find curious is if you can do this, then why penalize people for marking their set private during the year? Would they not be able to just delete their private set, and create a new identical one at the last minute, because that is allowed?  If so, what's the point of the rule?

• Administrator
5 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

What I find curious is if you can do this, then why penalize people for marking their set private during the year? Would they not be able to just delete their private set, and create a new identical one at the last minute, because that is allowed?  If so, what's the point of the rule?

Hello, Blake.

The obscured rule has evolved over the years and is under constant discussion by our senior team. The original idea behind the rule was to ensure a level of fairness for all players in a given set category. It is more in keeping with good sportsmanship for one collector to know what s/he is competing against by viewing another collectors coins/grades. Unfortunately, you are correct. A dishonest person can work around the obscure rule by creating an entirely new set on December 3rd and still be eligible for awards. However, we don't want to punish all newcomers by creating a deadline for all new sets created after a certain point, either. The discussions are still on going. Thank you.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, Ali E. said:

A dishonest person can work around the obscure rule by creating an entirely new set on December 3rd and still be eligible for awards. However, we don't want to punish all newcomers by creating a deadline for all new sets created after a certain point, either.

I find that very interesting. Thanks for the response.

I think with most things, especially things like the Registry, past a certain point you just have to hope that the vast majority of people are going to mostly want to comply with the rules and act in an open and honest way. It is shocking to think about how many things in our lives ultimately depend on and assume a level of voluntary compliance.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ChrisInJesup said:

Since the FUN show was canceled, when will the enouncement be made for the awards?

Hello, Chris. It will be later today. Thank you. :banana:

8 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I have hit refresh approximately once per minute waiting for the results. You're killing me! ;)

I guess sometime later today is a guess because nobody knows what is going on. I am sure they already know the winners but are waiting for everyone to get back from lunch. :gossip:

1 hour ago, Ray, USMC said:

I guess sometime later today is a guess because nobody knows what is going on. I am sure they already know the winners but are waiting for everyone to get back from lunch. :gossip:

I am guessing it will not be today as daylight is coming to a close soon.:roflmao:

I would like to inquire about an issue that could also create a cheater winning. Since you can acquire a certification number (just say from an ebay sale post) and go to verify the coin and hit I own this coin and add it to your set and remove it after you win. There is no verification of winning sets being what you have entered as owned. Just saying a cheater is a cheater and will always find a way to beat the system. Rules only keep honest people honest, crooks and cheaters don't care.

Is there a way for us participants to easily look to see if we have 75% or greater NGC coins that allows us to be eligible for awards, rather than counting them up and doing the math?