• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? About the 1960 small date penny

5 posts in this topic

Hi.

I’m trying to complete my 1941- Lincoln Cents album but I’m having trouble learning how to identify a small date from a large on the 1960 penny.

I have looked at many images online and still can not tell a big difference.

I have found some that might be a small date.

Any ideas on a good website that can help?ED5CF7BA-179E-48DD-BF7E-ACDF3DFA2E78.thumb.jpeg.91b5152a4dbf1ba825881cd3d639d75f.jpeg

3F0255F6-D6DA-4AC2-8AE9-562E3F6544D3.jpeg

There are two easy ways to tell.

On the Large date, the 9 is higher  than the 1 and the stroke of the 6 is long.

On a Small Date, the 9 is level with the top of the 1 and the stroke of the 6 is shorter.

Also note on the Large date, the O is round whereas on the small date 0 it is more oval

1960 S L Date.jpg

Edited by Greenstang

3 hours ago, FTW said:

Hi.

I’m trying to complete my 1941- Lincoln Cents album but I’m having trouble learning how to identify a small date from a large on the 1960 penny.

I have looked at many images online and still can not tell a big difference.

I have found some that might be a small date.

Any ideas on a good website that can help?ED5CF7BA-179E-48DD-BF7E-ACDF3DFA2E78.thumb.jpeg.91b5152a4dbf1ba825881cd3d639d75f.jpeg

3F0255F6-D6DA-4AC2-8AE9-562E3F6544D3.jpeg

This big image is one.

31 minutes ago, FTW said:

Thank you for the great information.
It looks like I have 32 small date in this one roll. They must be more common than I thought. 

If the roll was from the original distribution from a bank - and based on the cents you photographed, it looks like it - you'll have a higher probability of getting more than one of a certain strike in that roll. Rolled heavily circulated coins are a dog's breakfast on the other hand.

Original bank rolls are fun, particularly if they're old.