• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaned, corrosion coin

13 posts in this topic

I have this coin 1918 dime that was probably dug up from the ground and cleaned, I feel it should grade VG,  it also has some variety to it.

1.it has a wire bristle struck through it, can be seen but might be mistaken for dark spot, recognition with magnification. 

(Eyebrow and ear area)

2. Dubbed date

My concern is ,would this coin be just labeled corroded and cleaned with variety ignored ?

20200206_112448.jpg

Screenshot_20200227-013421_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Coin Maximus
Clarity

What we have here is an electrolytic cell this happens when a base metal the cathode comes in contact with an anode "the wire" in a wet environment "the ground"

it's actually environmental damage it's your coin and your choice to have it graded or not but I would second Morpheus 

5 hours ago, Coin Maximus said:

Why is that? Is it not a rarity to have a wire struck through a coin from 1918, not so much for grade but authenticity. 

Whether or not it's a rarity, it is doubtful it would be desirable enough to bump its value $30-60 above the rather pedestrian value of an environmentally damaged 1918 dime with a couple of nasty scratches. People won't pay extra for the described wire thing. They will pay a lot less for environmental damage and nasty scratches. Melt is about a buck twenty-eight; I think a dealer would sell it for $3.50 and pay you $2 at most for it.

We don't know what the mint mark is since we were asked to weigh in on this coin without anyone offering us a view of the reverse, and thus our data are incomplete, but none of the three 1918 issues seem fundamentally rare (except for some price separation at very high grades) so the mint of origin offers no potential relief.

Nice "album coin". There is no need to have graded MOST of the coins that are getting graded lately.

Ok, I see I presented this coin to the treasure hunters looking for the lottery coin.
Here is a coin dead and buried for over a hundred years resurrected with all its wounds.
Finds someone that appreciates its experience and hardship, yes it's not shiny or sparkly it has aged over the years and survived the elements for decades ,
Pierced with a metal rod at birth and lefted for dead.
This coin has art, beauty  and character.
People that like shiny things are shallow.

JUST Kidding, Kind of ...reverse Screenshot_20200227-112244_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0d04c28e865ed4da4095ea4ffc98553a.jpg

Notice the double struck lines on the One

Welcome to the coin hobby, where the things beginners don't think are important actually ARE, and those they think are important are NOT. And I'm not kidding even a little bit.

Why so serious joker, the question was would this coin come back just labeled cleaned and corroded ignoring the variety..

I ask because I've seen coins label clean but had variety to it, I was wondering if that was because straight grade without asking of its variety.?

Thank you for your experience and long time education in this madder. :roflmao: 

If it was actually a variety, I think most TPGs list both the variety and the "details - cleaned" aspect. It would have to be a variety that the specific TPG recognizes, and you would have to ask them to designate it and pay the fee. I don't think any of them designate a variety that isn't already documented somewhere, i.e. they are not in the "cherrypickers" business, and even if it's documented somewhere, they still might not designate it. There has to be collector interest in it, supposedly. They will also designate "struck through", but I don't know what each TPG's specific criteria is for that. It might have to be something more interesting than a wire. For example, here's a struck through staple where the staple is retained in the coin. https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1963-d-50c-franklin-half-struck-through-staple-au55-anacs/a/1191-4975.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515 That said, I don't see any varieties listed for 1918 dimes anywhere that I usually check, so even if it was an RPD, it would be an uphill battle to first get it listed somewhere, get collectors interested in it enough for a TPG to recognize it, etc. If it really is struck through wire, which I can't really tell from your image, somebody might find it interesting enough to give you a bit more than $2, especially if the wire is retained in the coin. I don't think someone interested in that would care whether a TPG said so.

Not struck through wire. It has a GOUGE on it, between the L and the I in "LIBERTY", nothing more. It will come back Details - Cleaned. You yourself said it was. :roflmao:By the way, it's a 1918-D, or have you, in your misplaced zeal to find error coins, forgotten something that is ACTUALLY important, like mint marks?

Edited by VKurtB

Like you said it makes for a good album coin.

I get it!!

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Not struck through wire. It has a GOUGE on it, between the L and the I in "LIBERTY", nothing more. It will come back Details - Cleaned. You yourself said it was. :roflmao:By the way, it's a 1918-D, or have you, in your misplaced zeal to find error coins, forgotten something that is ACTUALLY important, like mint marks?

Just now, Coin Maximus said:

Like you said it makes for a good album coin.

I get it!!

Sure beats my current 1918-D album coin, which is a barely G example. As for its base grade, I think VG is a little harsh. I think I'm seeing at least F, maybe a bit more.