• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG - 1887-s Morgan - Amazing looking coin in hand

11 posts in this topic

MS-63 thanks to the deep "wack" right on Liberty's smooth cheek. (A TPG might "grade" it 64, but that would not, in my opinion, change the real value.)

The scratch is NOT the gouge … if you look at this picture the scratch is from the lower chin to the hairline through the hairline 

to the cap. The depth of the scratch is minute almost having me believe it was a die

scratch. Lighting is everything with this coin as in the first picture it is almost imperceptible.

I bet one of the other major players in the grading arena

would grade this … I may give it a break out. 

I would have been in the 64 area myself with a possible PL

1887s_FullObvSM.thumb.jpg.5a02ac97455312f0867355781bfb4266.jpg

1887s_FullRevSM.thumb.jpg.6f0d276b7171d89ec880c1d7bfc53cb2.jpg

Edited by jgrinz

This is where I think they must have a details quota or something. And where I don't "get" the grading thing in general. "Not gradable"? They could easily give coins like this a real grade and just note the scratch.

Agree with @kbbpll - I don't get it. The ding on the cheek is far more relevant than that hairline; if you're going to details grade it. Awesome coin.

Edited by Kirt

Yea, I'm a little late to this party but was thinking 63 -64. I do not understand the details grade though. I've seen much worse scratches on MS 60-62's.