• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Director quashes gold circular - 1885

6 posts in this topic

At times, Mint Director James Kimball could be unusually “direct” when writing to one of the mint superintendents – in this case, Daniel Fox of the Philadelphia Mint.

"October 12, 1885

Sir:

Referring to your communication of the 10th instant forwarding a circular which you wish to have printed relative to the class of gold received at your Mint, I would say that the circular forwarded is objectionable and incomplete in so many particulars that it will be retained in the Bureau until such time as a general circular to all of the Mints and Assay Offices can be prepared for the approval of the Secretary, covering the subject.

Very Respectfully,

James P. Kimball

Director"

[ RWB – By “class of gold” Kimball refers to fine and standard gold bars, high purity gold bullion, gold dust and nuggets, jewelry, watch cases and plated items.]

18851012 P Proporsed gold circular incomplete.jpg

I would like to see the circular that was finally produced. I once made a suggestion to my manager who always said that she welcomed all suggestions. She responded almost exactly like this letter. 

Funny thing was about six months later she had the same idea and got accolades from her manager on what a good idea. lesson learned.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:00 AM, Moxie15 said:

I would like to see the circular that was finally produced. I once made a suggestion to my manager who always said that she welcomed all suggestions. She responded almost exactly like this letter. 

Funny thing was about six months later she had the same idea and got accolades from her manager on what a good idea. lesson learned.

That's the "retained in this Bureau until such time" part.