• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2013 D siver penny

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2013 D silver penny...does not stick to magnet...checked weight with 2 other pennies from 2013.....2013 copper penny...and 2013 D copper penny...all weigh the same 2.5 grams...any ideas

20200222_175400.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin is not silver. It appears to be an ordinary zinc cent that has lost its brass plating through some chemical action.

I agree, if it weighs 2.5g it could only be an ordinary cent with the Cu removed.  You can find instructions online for how to chemically strip off the Cu without damaging the Zn, though I haven't tried it.  I've done the opposite though--filed off a spot on the edge of a post-1982 cent and dropped it in acid until all the Zn was consumed, leaving an extremely thin (and unfortunately curled) copper shell.  Cool novelties, if you can get it to turn out right.