• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Spots?

10 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on the tiny black spots (copper spot) gold can have? This coin has on the the obverse that is flat and one on the reverse that is pitted (haven't seen that before). Considering sending in for grading but not if these would be a detriment to potential grade. I think the overall condition looks favorable to grade out high enough to sell for more than Melt value.

1.jpg

2.jpg

11.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by Terence:)

Pictures of the whole coin @Terence:) otherwise its difficult to help you

Whole picture both sides then the close up the distraction and your question concerning them grade ...if it will grade … commom ...uncommon etc 

Have a nice day

J

11 minutes ago, jgrinz said:
  •  

Pictures of the whole coin @Terence:) otherwise its difficult to help you

Sorry .... will do

Considering sending in for grading but not if these would be a detriment to potential grade. I think the overall condition looks favorable to grade out high enough to sell for more than Melt value.

11.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by Terence:)

Referred to as gold spots or copper spots, it is usually a result of slight variations in the alloy, these spots develop over time and become more noticeable due to environmental reactions to poor storage.

Removal requires precision to reduce or eliminate the spot while maintaining the coin’s original surface, which is crucial in grading. Improperly done  can damage the surface of the coin. NCS has done a good job in the past at helping to

remove and maintained the surface for grading, however, this coin is probably not a good candidate for preserving as the coin does not look to be in high enough grade to make it worth the $ outlay.

But that is your decision my friend - Good Luck 

Thanks jgrinz, that is my dilemma. There seems to be no real premium unless this (and other Liberty dates I have) reach or exceed MS62. 

I am not experienced enough to accurately assess them.  Of course I "think" they look great but that doesn't mean squat lol

7 hours ago, jgrinz said:

This one to me looks cleaned to me ...my opinion 

Yeah, it may just be the pictures, and my lack of experience with gold, but the surfaces do look unnatural to me.

11 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Referred to as gold spots or copper spots, it is usually a result of slight variations in the alloy, these spots develop over time and become more noticeable due to environmental reactions to poor storage.

Removal requires precision to reduce or eliminate the spot while maintaining the coin’s original surface, which is crucial in grading. Improperly done  can damage the surface of the coin. NCS has done a good job in the past at helping to

remove and maintained the surface for grading, however, this coin is probably not a good candidate for preserving as the coin does not look to be in high enough grade to make it worth the $ outlay.

But that is your decision my friend - Good Luck 

The black spots on your gold coin are HARD BLACK stuff that was struck into the coin.  After a while, a true copper colored reaction ring will often develop around the struck through debris spot.  These coins are commonly straight graded if the rest of the coin is original.  When I worked at NCS I would remove them for customers using a stereo microscope.  Trouble is, once removed there is a depression on the coin where the debris once was. 

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Yeah, it may just be the pictures, and my lack of experience with gold, but the surfaces do look unnatural to me.

Pics never do a coin justice and I took different angles because of the reflection of the coin. It has a really nice reflective surface for a mint state ..... which I know, could mean someone polished it. That said, it does have good eye appeal. My local coin shop offered me 95% spot (cash) last week .... wonder if he will again now that gold is on a tear !