• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

not suitable for certification

5 posts in this topic

coin labeled not suitable

In this case what opions are available?

forget the coin for ever, or sent it back for a second opinion.

thank you

Edited by dim12

What kind of "not suitable" is it? What coin, token, medal, etc? Not enough information here to give you an answer. If it's "not genuine", it's never going to be genuine. Throw it out. If it's no opinion or surface residue or questionable authenticity, etc, it could be worth another opinion or conservation. "Altered surfaces" could still be a coin somebody wants, just to have that particular date or variety at a steep discount. It all depends.

Thanks for replying

According to ngc NOT SUITABLE FOR CERTIFICATION - applys for coins that are severely damaged or otherwise impaired. The coin is on its way back to me in about a week from today.I dont now if they will send a full report

on this.  I dont have photo to post right now but i'll do so when i get it back. The surprising fact on this coin is

that it not damaged . Its condition is clear and could say  VF. There is got to be something else that i did'tsee,

or understand when i purchased it.

Agree with others posting here - we need some idea of what the coin is as well as pics of the coin in order to help as well as what NGC said beyond "NOT SUITABLE."  In a week, get that info into the thread.

I think the next sentence of the description should give you some idea: "The surface condition of these coins makes it impossible for NGC to render a conclusive opinion about authenticity, Details Grade or both." Check carefully for corrosion, whizzing, polishing, or other significant alterations.