• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not available price guide value

5 posts in this topic

I have numerous NGC graded coins that read "NOT AVAILABLE" under the NGC price guide value. Some foreign coins, some shipwrecked, and some with defects such as bent. How do I know how much they are worth if NGC don't even give a value?

24 minutes ago, BillyB26 said:

I have numerous NGC graded coins that read "NOT AVAILABLE" under the NGC price guide value. Some foreign coins, some shipwrecked, and some with defects such as bent. How do I know how much they are worth if NGC don't even give a value?

You still wouldn't know. The values are all over the place and bear only passing relation to reality. Search Ebay, and other sites if you can, for sold listings of that coin type and grade. Ignore live listings; only the figures it sold for have any relevance.

Welcome to The Forum.

JKK is right. The best place to find the value of a coin is to see what examples have sold for in the (recent) past. Sites like Ebay, Stack's-Bowers, Heritage, or Great Collections are the best place to start.

First welcome to the forum; second there is no way to value damaged coins because the severity of the damage will have an impact on what it can be sold for.  Also a bent coin is not a defect that is considered damaged they are two distinct different things; a defect would be something that happened at the mint like a clip or a lamination issue.  A damaged coin that is bent as an example can be worth different amounts to different buyers, you may see it as a minor issue and another buyer may consider the coin worth only the metal value.  Because NGC cannot know how different collectors will react to the type and amount of damage there is no way to set a price in the guide.

If these are coins you have been given or passed down from family members the best you can do is try and evaluate prior sales of coins that have similar problems to yours and take a best guess on value.  If these are coins that you have purchased I would recommend not buying problem damaged coins in the future, unless these are uber rare problem coins can be harder to liquidate than non-problem coins.