• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Triple Die ...state quater...

10 posts in this topic

No questions,,just sharing what I have found, I post what I see by far am I an expert coin person but I do know what I see .im far from immature, Actually im every serious type of person just looking for a way out without stress and im hoping a few nice coins will do just that.. ot looking for fame or videos about my curiosity which we all know has already been done..Please note I did not blast my curiosity all over YouTube, just right here on a I throught member only form..

Image_2020-02-20 21_19_48_541.JPG

Image_2020-02-20 20_38_19_229.JPG

20200220_213511.jpg

Image_2020-02-20 21_21_26_444.JPG

B.C. with respect ,every letter on coin looks triple, nothing else is butt little on nose and the eye,,just wondering, I got a few states quarters, my question  is this would be a common  occurence, because I do search diligently and never seen such coins until I started looking at the state quarters this past month..thanks again

Gilbert,

As you won't find errors like those in NGC population you can contact CONECA and they will add them to their list of

varieties if they are good. NGC will offer the variety headings later if there is interest.

There are a lot of double die state quarters in their list so you may even be able to catalog your coins.

http://varietyvista.com/CONECA Master Listings.htm

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 2/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, GilbertRowland said:

B.C. with respect ,every letter on coin looks triple, nothing else is butt little on nose and the eye,,just wondering, I got a few states quarters, my question  is this would be a common  occurence, because I do search diligently and never seen such coins until I started looking at the state quarters this past month..thanks again

Gilbert, I am not as knowing as you seem to be on such things and I have a question or two.

I have read and been told by several coin experts that United States coin dies are pressed once by the hub. Not several times like in the past. Because of only being struck once by the hub there is no more true doubling or tripling. What we see as and call doubling, as in double ears on Lincoln cents and extra fingers on the reverse of 2009 cents, are caused by the hub slipping against the die blank as it is slightly higher in the center to help facilitate better detail impression.

So my question to you is... How does one explain tripling of all the lettering on a coin if the die is only struck once by the hub and the planchet is struck once by the die?

On 2/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, GilbertRowland said:

I have come to understand that one thing you are correct about the one time strike so with saying it's the die that is already cut as a double or for what I have triple ,they make serval dies from one master die and during the process of making working dies this happens ,so once the working dies are put to work it's up to the mint employees to catch such errors sometimes they do catch on a quick note sometimes it's a later note that's my understanding about the double die creation as well as triple. More on the double less likely on a triples that's my understanding I believe I'm right if not I'm sure somebody will let me know and I won't mind if I am wrong and then i will know the right way but I'm pretty sure that's right

On 2/27/2020 at 8:06 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

Gilbert,

As you won't find errors like those in NGC population you can contact CONECA and they will add them to their list of

varieties if they are good. NGC will offer the variety headings later if there is interest.

There are a lot of double die state quarters in their list so you may even be able to catalog your coins.

http://varietyvista.com/CONECA Master Listings.htm

Thank you sir I will do as you have described..I have just never seen on such coins and I have servel different dates..

TO BE CONTINUED 

8 hours ago, GilbertRowland said:

it's the die that is already cut as a double

Dies are not "cut". They are pressed into a master hub. They used to do this more than once, and if it was slightly offset, created doubled or tripled working dies. It varies by denomination, but by 1999, all US coinage dies were produced using single-squeeze hubbing. Doubled and tripled dies in the traditional sense simply cannot happen after 1999 on any US coin. Similarly, they stopped punching mint marks into dies around 1994, so RPMs don't happen anymore either. Since 1999, there are cases where the hub "skips" a little bit while settling into the die, causing what people still call a "doubled die", but it's not really the same thing, and it mostly happens near the center of the coin. You would be wise to read this https://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html as well as other sources. Claiming you have a "triple die" on a state quarter, well, it just can't happen. What you are seeing is probably a combination of worn die and some MD.

I believe what we're seeing on Gilbert's coins is a lighting artifact, and nothing more. It isn't even really there. Add the right lights in the right positions, and you can see doubling and tripling everywhere. I speak specifically about the larger "IN GOD WE TRUST" photo.

Edited by VKurtB